Cant get MG up-Need advise

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Reefnjunkie, Aug 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

I think you guys read my reply or I stated it incorrectly, I was "observing" the area that shows the tanks of the month dating back for about 5 years or so. With that the winner of that month states what their water parameters are.

Dont worry Im not straying from the flock;)
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

thanks for clarification

Yes I assumed you had posted same question on RC and got 36 responces
    hence with some help from my friends I was going to take this thread to 37 at least

Steve

4. Reefnjunkie

Isn't that "Good Karma" that I did not-Hint Hint.
    Please Sirs may I have another

2 people like this.
  5. steve wright

fair enough, we can sort that

Steve

6. Reefnjunkie

Woa-I thought I would have gone from 1 to 2 LOL

This is the only site I'm a member, I heard good things about this place and alot of political, pc, junk about the rest.

Again goods things about this site, BAD things about the rest-for the most part.

Still new trying to get a handle on how it all works, posting, pics, etc.....

Thanks
    SG currently 1.024 and a half, more focused on Vodka dosing now (todays day 4), the MG will have to wait a week.

THANKS again!!!!

7. Reefnjunkie

Well not really on topic, but I would like to throw out that I have lost a 7 inch Giant Tear Drop Maxima Clam and a nice Bellas Angel 7 days after I sterted Vodka Dosing-thats what died, and the list as to what looked bad is long.
    I followed the directions to the "T" and was even erring on the cautious side of doses.

My opinion, personally-Vodka is meant (barely) for human consumption-not your reef tank.

Back on topic-I raised my SG to 1.025 and currently have my MG at 1350.

WOW-I cant believe how many people I spoke to had ZERO idea that your SG is directly related to the levels of MG.

Thanks Guys!!

I wish this was an easier answer to find-and I wish I had found more "feedback" on the "Vodka Dosing"- for those that have it working -Good Luck and glad you dodge the bullets of death, for those thinking about it-IMO- DON'T!!

8. Click Here!

9. dufresne

dufresne Feather Duster

Steve, what kind of calcium test are you using that gives you an exact number like 468? I use Salifert and API and both give results in increments of 20.

10. steve wright

dufrense - Tropic marin calcium and Magnesium combined test kit
    Dr Fragenstein gave me the heads up, its a bit tricky at 1st but thereafter really cool to use

Steve

1 person likes this.
  11. dufresne

dufresne Feather Duster

12. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Mg,Ca

OKay, I've never dosed or tested for Mg. I've been trying this out and have been reading the thread religiously. I'm keeping SG @ 1.026. I even went & bought a new Salifert Mg test kit & bottle of Brightwell Aquatics Mg supplement. Using the directions on the bottle, I'm adding 30cc's of Mg to my 60g frag daily. For the past 3 days, very little change. I repeat the test to make sure & relatively the same results.....approx. 1.3ml's of reagent before color change? Any clues, comments or snide remarks?:-/