Can't get a straight answer.

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Arcain41, Feb 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Does anyone have any advice on buying LED lighting? I see most 3Reefers are using T5s or Halide, but I really like the idea of the LED. I have been to a fish store that has them exclusively on their coral tanks [LPS&SPS]. I get a mixed bag of opinions. Some say, they are the best because of their low energy consumption, the fact that they last 10 years and dont get dimmer and the intinsity of the light. Others say they are a joke and we will never get any coral growth, only coral die-off. I would love to start this thread and get some serious talk going about it. I cant find any info online. Thanks in advance for helping me choose our new lighting.

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

1. You can afford LED lighting?
    2. How deep is your tank?
    3. It all depends on what you plan to keep under the lights!

1 person likes this.
  4. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

I think they will work, But to get enough light output the fixtures cost thousands of dollars, So it stops almost everybody from using them. The LFS probaly uses them becuase they can afford them, and would be very cheap to operate

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

6. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

there are some good LEDs out there, but they are VERY expensive. thousands and thousands of dollars. i think leds are probably the lighting of the future, but they have aways to go still

7. Arcain41

OH, I forgot. The fish store that has them; makes them. They have been making them for a long time and using them in their store. Each bulb (48") is around $160. I dont know, they obviously chat them up, but seriously I wonder if im making a mistake if I go with it.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

These are good questions.

10. Arcain41

Sorry,
    1. I think I addressed the cost in an earlier thread.
    2. Tank is 24" deep.
    3. I have mostly LPS coral. I have a clam, birds nest, and some horn coral.

11. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

One of my LFSs had a LED fixture over their coral tank. Last time I was there they had a hallide fixture above the same tank. I think that says a lot.

The cool thing about the LED fixtures is the amount of programming and dimming you should be able to do to simulate the gradual change in lighting over the course of a day. I think we're 5 years away from seeing LED lighting becoming more mainstream.

12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

LED seems like a promising lighting solution, somewhere in the future. The current lighting systems are thousands of dollars ($160, probably get what you pay for) to be comparable to metal halide. You can get LED light bulbs for your house as well, but to be comparable to a CF bulb, still costs a great deal more.