Unresolved cant figure out what going on nitrates are up so are trites and ammonia

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by skyvern2130, Sep 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Do them again for sure..... and set a timer.

2. Click Here!

3. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

i did again with timer and the results came back they are the nitrates droped from 80-20ppm, ammonia is 0 as i can see (damn thing is soo hard to read being cloudy but looks yellow) and nitrites are at .50ppm
    i just wana know what the heck
    till now my norm was trates 20ppm trites 0 ammonia 0

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Just sounds to me like new tank syndrome, like another mini cycle, from a few too many fish+too much feeding+not enough liverock. I think your on the path to recovery though, the addition of more rock and a good bacteria should help with lowered feedings.

Good luck, tell that rock to cure already;)

5. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

ive been change the water once a week like they say to cure it and still its taking for ever. i think i did this back at the beginning of august or end of july i really need to start a journal for when i do stuff lol.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

it took me forever too, but as you get deeper in this hobby, a journal/notes is REALLY nice to have

7. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

thats why im going to start making more live rock when this batch is done, cause i figure by the time its done i will have all my other equip and rdy to start setting up

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Once you start keeping notes, you won't know what you did without them.

What better fish to get you through than the "cycle fish".

10. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

It does sound like you are on the right path. +1 to everything that Cosmo said. 20 lbs of live rock is not nearly enough for your tank and bio load IMO. Any chance of doing a refugium with cheato? More water volume, more filtration, more of everything good IMO. Just a thought... good luck!

11. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Decorations will end up with the bacteria on it yes. The thing is, live rock is very porous and rough so there is a lot more surface area for bacteria to grow than decorations. Also, what do you have for flow?

I'd say you're going to have a lot of problems with aggression in the future as well. You have a 55 gallon tank with 11 damsels, and with saltwater most fish can become aggressive to similar ones (damsels not being an exception). In total that's going to be 35" of fish. They are certainly going to feel crammed up and start kill each other.

And I noticed you said the ammonia went up. Not sure if you meant you could read some beforehand or it was at 0, but you never should have any ammonia in the tank.