Unresolved cant figure out what going on nitrates are up so are trites and ammonia

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by skyvern2130, Sep 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Sorry. I meant next set of guesses, because it wasn't what I thought. Stumped.

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

That is a lot of fish for a young tank.
    How much rock and what kind of skimmer? What is your source water and have you tested that both before and after mixing? Have you verified your test results with a different test kit?
    Also twice a day for feeding specially with those fish is a lot, I suspect there is some serious overseeing going on. Once a day is plenty, you could probably get by with 3X a week depending on exactly how much your feeding per time.

4. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

I'm using a eshopps psk 75 skimmer i use tap water. Have a rodi on way.
    I test for nitrate befor mixing in salt. And no I havnt tested against another test kit next time I head into two I will have the lfs check it
    About 20lbs of live rock and who 50-75 lbs of live sand
    And I have about 30-40 lbs diy live rock im just waiting for it to cure befor I put it so it won't leech chemicals into tank
    It just is taking longer than expected to cure
    I do have decorations in the tank that are sizeable. I was told that those would be like live rock once put in

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  5. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Ok I'm going test water with the new kit and old if both say same thing ill do another 15% water change, just to be on safe side ill add some smart start into the water cant hurt to add more of the nitrafying bacteria. I have a funny feeling test kit is wrong and i may have been over feeding ill go on a everother day feeding and do a direct feed on the anemone ever day so it don't shrivel up

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

When using the Nitrate test kit.If it doesn't say specifically fw or sw you should be using two different color cards.A sw color card or a fw color card.
    What kind of foods are you adding to this tank????You should not be feeding the anemone every day.Once a week is more then enough.Overfeeding it will cause nutrient issues and could kill it.

7. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

As the others said, feeding 2 x daily is a lot and with having 11 fish in a 55g., well, that's a great deal of waste for your system to quickly break down.

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

That many Damsels, in that size tank, should not cause those high values (except the the nitrates). I have 7 damsels in a 10g QT, and I've never seen ammonia. It's a heavy load, but theirs were added a month ago and you would have seen the ammonia jump at that time or shortly after. By this point, the bacteria should have caught up.

I would throw in a nice bacteria product like Dr. Tim's.

I wouldn't suspect the test kit, unless you are using those all in one sticks, or something. All your values are up. What are the odds your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits are bad.

Do you have a picture of your tank? No one has gone missing in the last couple of days, have they?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  10. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Nope.no deaths everyone is there idk maybe I let the tests set to long befor checking would letting it set 10 mins affect it

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Did you say what kits you were using? You added the chemicals and then waited 10 minutes, or you pulled the water out and waited 10 mins before testing it?

12. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

i used an api test kit added chems and i ment to check at like 2 mins but got caught up doing somthing else and was about 10 mins before i checked