Cant belive how GREEN and CLOUDY my H2o is.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by DarkEarth, Jun 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DarkEarth

DarkEarth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

K.

So I think I messed up real bad. Some vital stats first.

41 gallon reef tank, Fluval canister filter (running chemi-pure {not elite}, and a handful of bio-balls along with the prefilter sponges), T-5 and LED lighting 10hrs/ON-14hrs/Off. Filter runs 24/7 duh!

I've had it set up for about 6 months now and so far everything has been perfect. The beginning cycle came and went without a hitch. Zeros across the board on water tests 2 weeks after set up. Zeros tested weekly ever since for the last 6 months.

I was getting to the point where I started adding little ten dollar frags of zooanthids (and they are doing very well). UNTIL.

So heres where my stupidity starts to show....
    I went down and snorkeled by Sebastian inlet and saw beautiful things, anemones, corals, blennies. etc.

I ended up taking home a fisfull of sea lettuce Macro algae:-[ thinking I was going to feed my herbivores a special treat.

Everything looked fine for about a week and now I cant see not even ONE inch into my tank its that green. You couldnt even tell I have rock in the tank ITS ThaT GREEN.

I belive its called a micro algae bloom. Im guessing from the water riding on the sea lettuce or directly from it.

PARAMETERS. Very very slight Ammonia. Nitrate and Nitrite is 0. Calcium is high but in range, KH is high but within range. PH is 8.2, Specific Gravity is .025 I want to test for phosphates but I dont have the test kit for it.

WHAT I'VE DONE (THAT HASNT WORKED). 10 Gallon water change-no change. two days later 15 Gallon water change- got a little better for 2 days, now the bloom is back stronger than ever. Both changes done with R/O water and Tropic Marin salt. Now Im asking for help from 3 reef members.

Im scared that my animals are gonna die, although they are behaving normally. My blenny did go carpet surfing though, might have been due to the completley awfull visibility.

I thought about setting up a back up tank and just starting my big tank all over again, but id really hate to do that. Im desperate to the point where im looking for a chemical remedy.

Help me 3 reef, you're my only hope:kiss:

2. Click Here!

3. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

May not be the best advise but algaefix marine by API worked for me. It might work on your bloom. It hasn't harmed anything in my tank whatsoever except the algae.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Have you done a complete blackout yet?

5. DarkEarth

Corailline I have not. Whats the procedure?

Magnett- are there any known by-kills with the Algaefix?

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I might guess a sporulation or "sexual" event occurred and feeding a micro algae bloom. The algae probably was probably shocked when added to your tank as the conditions are probably quite different.
    Wet skimming, carbon, GFO water changes are all you can do really. A blackout will only help if you first remove the nutrient source. You can just turn off the lights for 3 days or so, but make sure to filter your tank aggressively in addition.

This article talks about macro algae and "Sexual" Events:
    Beyond the Refugium: A Macroalgae Primer by Sarah Lardizabal - Reefkeeping.com

7. DarkEarth

I removed the Sea Lettuce at first indication of cloudyness, even before the cloud turned green. Then it turned green, then the 15 gal water change, and now its back with a vengeance.

Whats really crazy it I put the sea lettuce in some old tank water I had in a bucket (from a water change well before I went snorkeling) and that bucket with the sea lettuce is still crystal clear sitting on my back porch.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Like m2434 posted, nutrients are playing a part as well as lighting.

For the complete blackout, just leave the lights completely off for 3-4 days. Cover the tank so no ambient light can get in, make sure you do not cover any fans or lights that may come on because of a timer.

Have extra water made up, because it sounds like you will have a die off and may see an ammonia spike, so test everyday, but keep the lights off.

Do not do any water changes unless you have to though.

Run the carbon and or GFO.

10. DarkEarth

Corailline. Whats the Ammonia threshold until I need to do a water change?

How high do I let it go before i make the decision?

Im prepping for Blackout tonight. Thanks for the help.

Also, still looking for any possible negative side effects of using Marine Algaefix.

11. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Exhibit A on why there is a difference between tanks & aquariums and you sholdnt intermix the two. If it see it in the ocean leave it there, & if you see it in the fish store dont turn it back into the wild. Even though they come from the same place they are completely different.

12. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

If you have the money, I'd get a nice big UV sterilizer to wipe out all the algae. It'll only take a few hours (maybe even a day) but your water will be crystal clear. But, the only drawback is that it will literally kill everything that passes through the UV light. Blackout is also a great option, just make sure you do constant water changes. I wouldn't wait for the Ammonia spike, I'd just continually do partial water changes.