Canister vs Power filter's?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by PackLeader, Sep 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Hey all,
    Right now I am running a AquaClear 70 power filter on my 40 gallon reef tank, and have been thinking of getting a canister filter to replace it. Reasons vary, but mostly due to my desire to *hide* some of the equipment hanging off the back of the tank. Would a canister filter out-perform my filter by much? Do you think it's a worth-while investment?
    Also, my stand is kinda weird, so I only have 10 1/2" in width to work with (this doesnt allow me to run a sump/fuge, which has had me thinking about upgrading the mechanical filtration for a while), so if you could recommend a brand/model that will fit my measurement restraints that would be great.
    TIA all

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

i like HOB's b/c i can put stuff like carbon or whot-not in them. never had experiance with a canister filter before so im not much help :)

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

CPR makes narrow sumps.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

From what Ive read most canister's have trays that you could put just about anything into - including carbon. Worst case I could put the carbon in the filtering chamber of my skimmer (it has its own media chamber before the return).
    I love my carbon as well;D

6. awa1979

awa1979 Astrea Snail

I have a marineland C series canister on my freshwater and my 29 gallon QT SW tank and prefer them over power filters because of the increased space for media, there is a total of 4 trays, the bottom is a pre-filter sponge, then I have carbon, and then ceramic rings in tray 3 and 4.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yeah, but with only say a 5-10 gallon or so increase would it even be worth it?

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I've got the cy192. Very happy with it. It's rated for up to 100 gallons. I had to go with it because of space constraints in my old stand. They are a little taller than most though. They are pretty spendy. Got mine free;D.

10. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Hell yes. I have a 38g with a 10g sump/fuge combo that I built myself from a 10g tank I had sitting around. I would go for either a refugium or a combo sump/fuge. It's not about the amount of water volume you are adding, it's about adding macroalgae to remove nitrates and phosphates. Trust me, once you have one you'll never run a tank without one ever again.

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

It would have to be just a sump though, as my stand wouldnt allow much room for anything (a standard 10 gallon tank wouldnt even come close to fitting), I dont see how I could build a effective sump/fuge. It has to be tall and skinny.
    The CPR thing seems ok, but the fact that I already have all of the equipment that it comes with and that it only adds 4 gallons, all for $400, is a turn-off. Seems like in my situation a decent canister filter would be more effective?
    What I really wanted to do was build a new stand, and get rid of this useless one I have now, and do like a 20 gallon fuge/sump, but my girlfriend "loves the stand its on" , so I'm not going to be able to do that anytime soon :angry:

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I'm confuse as to why people use filter like the canister. I've seen some systems for sale that have a wet/dry and canister.
    If you have proper live rock and a protein skimmer do you even need a filter?