canister filters

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by 00nothing, Feb 25, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 00nothing

00nothing Astrea Snail

jsut wondering what everyones thoughts are on cansiter filters on reef tanks a friend of mine jsut got an xp3 to put on his 55 gallon reef tank and while not being ideal it has to be better than nothing as for media he is only running phoszorb and floss ( i told him to change the floss weekly) he is also setting up a hang on fuge to go along with his setup

and one more question the filter included something called chem-zorb on aquarium pharms page tehy say its for salt but i am worried about it pulling out essential stuff such as iodine anyone know anything about it

2. Click Here!

3. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

The general concensus that I've seen is that CFs are not as good as WD or refugiums (sp?). Personally, I've had good luck with CFs in tanks up to 130 as long as I've had additional biologic filtration in the form of fluidized beds. For CFs I like Fluval 404s although I just had the impeller in one fail on me. I had a spare 404 so it wasn't a big deal, but... For the fluidized bed I like Rainbow Lifeguard. I have a RL 900 currently running on a 72 with a 404 and a RL 600 on a 55 that has a WD. If you check the specs on the RLFBs you will see that is massive over kill. Cheap insurance in my book.

You didn't mention a skimmer. That is a must and IMO more important than the filter choice.

I'm not wild about chemical media other than carbon and Phosphate sponge (if necessary). Your best bet is to use RODI water in the first place.

Good luck.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah personally I'd go with a sump and a good skimmer. Easier to deal with than a canister I think and more oxygen exchange.

5. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

I'm glad I read this thread...found a salvage store today that had a bunch of tank stuff...I bought 50 gal size salt (forgot the name, but was a good one, blue bucket) for 5 bucks each..bought 4 of those. Firend bought the 75 gal tank with hood, wood stand wet/dry/skimmer 100# argonate sand, 100 watt heater ..bunches of stuff....300 bucks!!!! stole that one really...

they had a bunch of Canister filters there...from small to large sizes...but I didnt know anything about them, since I have a wet/dry and a diatom XL filter, I guess it was good I didn't get one. The had a 192 watt CURRENT brand (I think all I saw was CURRENT stamped in the plastic) light system I wanted, but the guy said he'd have to research out a price, and let me know....

I guess I'll go the path of the fuge soon then.... thanks for the info guys!!!

Scoffer