Candy frag placement?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by 4G1v3N, Jan 30, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

I recently purchaced a candy cane frag. I have it in a hole in a rock right now but im curious of how this frag will grow. any sugestions would be great!

Thanks.
    -Jordan

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

By splitting heads :) Eventually, you will notice that a polyp will develop two mouths and start to pinch in the middle. That's a sure fire indication that the polyp is going to split in two.

Now, your title mentions "placement". What kind of light have you got it under and how high up in the tank is it?

4. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

I have 4 65w pc 2 actinic 2 10k and the frag is about 3/4 of the up in the tank. also it is in a hole so i cant see the bottom of the frag. does it split from the top part or the bottom part is what im concerned about i guess. thanks for you reply!
    -Jordan

5. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Also make sure the frag is getting decent water movement. But not directly in front of a power head. The coral will push out its feeding tentacles at night.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What size tank do you have that lighting over?

The bottom part of that particular coral is dead, kinda like a fingernail. It's the polyps themselves that are alive and that will split.

7. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

80g 18 1/2"t X 47"l X 19w

8. Click Here!

9. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    i have mine at the bottom of the tank. the polyps facing the light and the skeleton in the sand. i have a deep sand bed so i can do this. i hav found that mine grow faster in the sand and with a calcium level of about 430-480.