Candy Cane Coral and Trumpet the Same?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by HollyG, Dec 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I keep getting mixed messages! One person tells me that the candy cane coral and the trumpet coral are the same species and then another tells me that they are different. Even online, one site says same and the other says different. I'm asking because I just picked one up yesterday and it was marked as trumpet and when I asked if candy cane and trumpet are the same she said yes, so I thought I would ask you guys! And if they aren't the same, which do you think mine is?

candy cane 003 (800x600).jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Very similar but not the same...typically trumpet would be Caulastrea curvata, while candy cane is Caulastrea furcata. There are many variations of each as well as some other species within the same genus so positive ID is often difficult.

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Hmmm now you got me wondering what mine is too.

Attached Files:

5. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That would be Caulastrea curvata the Trumpet Coral. To me, I see a distinct difference between the two, even though they do resemble each other. C. curvata does look much like a trumpet with more of a flattened "face" to the polyp. The Candy Cane looks more like a thick doughnut surrounding a central disk, at least with the types I have. Also, my trumpets are more circular in shape while the CCs seem to be more irregular or oval.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I can't tell the difference. I call them all Trumpets and treat them all the same as far as flow, light, etc.

I don't know why science classifies these as an example as different species... To me, trumpets and candy canes are more akin to being different races of the same species... Not that my opinion on that matters lol.

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

So this is a candy cane then?
    [​IMG]
    I always wondered about the same thing for a looong time! LOL

8. Click Here!

9. RichardinMa

That would be a trumpet. They are similar but different. Here are a couple quick pics- poor quality but they show the difference.

First a trumpet:

[​IMG]

Now, one candy cane:

[​IMG]

And another candy cane:

[​IMG]

10. RichardinMa

Actually, Holly, now that I look at your picture again, I am leaning more toward a well expanded candy cane. Nana and exactly are both trumpets.

11. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

They look the same to me.

12. RichardinMa

As Peredhill pointed out, they do fine under the same conditions so if the difference is not discenable to you and does not make a difference to you then it is nothing to worry about. Enjoy them all as the same thing.