Candy cane and torch

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by starfish2217, Jul 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

They aren't doin to well.. My candy canes were doing awesome, they were nice big and plump about three days ago! there tentacles at night would extend nice and long, but for the past two days.. they look like crap and last night the feeder tentacles weren't out at all. And also my torch coral isn't opening up ver well either.. Everything else is doing fabulous and looks amazing as usual I wonder whats up with these dudes.

SG -1.026
    PH - 8.0
    Calcium- 500 ppm
    KH- 125.3 ppm
    Phosphate - 0
    Nitrate - 0

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

how close are they to each other?

4. starfish2217

There not that close, I haven't seen any stinging going on at all..

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

starfish2217,

If you are using a hydrometer to test SG, double check it against another hydrometer or better yet a refractometer. The fact that the candy cane is not as open or showing tentacles would not concern me much, sometimes they just do that, but since the Euphyllia is also showing signs of stress, I would also be concerned.

Any recent water changes?

As always an image if you can get one.

6. starfish2217

I only have the hydrometer, Im working on getting a refractometer, I know i need one. I did take images, im uploading them now. I did a water 10% water change last week I was planning on doing one tomorrow but I guess I could just do it today if it would help

7. starfish2217

K here are the pics

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

that looks healthy to me... atually looks better than mine LOL mine does that from time to time and scared me at first but I brlive it is just somthing they do IME

10. starfish2217

hang on I have one more picture one of the pieces looks realllllly crappy. haha, but I was worried because they always have the feeder tentacles out like crazy and for two nights now they havent and they won't open up all the way

11. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Does that equal about 7 dKh?

If you are not dosing two part and relying on water changes, you may be dipping lower than 7, which is not good. A reading closer to 6 would definitely result in stress that you would see in both of those corals.

12. starfish2217

Yea after I tested today I realized that the DKH was low that is about 7 I made some baking soda water and will begin to raise it I don't have a buffer.