Candy Cane and Brain Coral Question

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by medhatreefguy, Feb 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. medhatreefguy

medhatreefguy Fire Worm

In the first two pictures, I have a coral skeleton that I bought with a Xenia frag on it. I noticed new growth on what I thought was dead and it appears to be candy cane coral but I'm not sure. Because the xenia grows like a weed I split the coral branches to keep the new growth from getting overtaken by the xenia. Anyone know for sure what this is? at night the center of this coral glows a bright green under the LED moon lights.

The last picture is a brain coral I purchased a couple of days ago. It looks the same as it did at the LFS and it appears to be very brightly colored so I assume it is doing OK. I don't see any extension or retraction of any polyps or movement of any kind on the surface. How do I gauge if it is thriving in my tank? What should I look for? How fast does it grow? Also this doesn't look like something that could be fragged easily, anyone with experience on this type? I did a bunch of research but nothing that looked like this.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Looks like Neon Green Alien Eye Candy Cane.

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Definitely a Candy Cane. So let me get this straight-You bought a Xenia polyp on what the LFS thought was a dead coral skeleton and it came back to life as a free Candy Cane? I have a similar brain coral and there is never any polyp extension. Mine seems to be thriving. A good gauge of whether or not it's thriving is the color. If it stays nice and colorful and looks good then you should be okay.

5. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

definate canes. healthy cane should look plump like yours . growth is not very rapid at all. not really sure how fast they should grow but mine have never sprouted a new head. had it for 6 mnths.

easy to frag. get as close to the base as possible and use some epoxy to attatch to another rock

6. mltmtascp

mltmtascp Astrea Snail

Ours grow regularly but we feed cylopeeze.

7. medhatreefguy

medhatreefguy Fire Worm

That's right, I was quite impressed since my LFS doesn't typically sell candy cane so I wasn't all that familiar. Anything free is good...except aptasia. In a matter of about three weeks it has gone from nothing to 8 heads in total.