Canary in a coal mine?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by iLLwiLL, Jul 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

What is the best way to test if ich is still present in my display tank?

In a few weeks I will have reached the end of my 6 week fallow period and hopefully the end of my ich. My yellow tang has been alone in a 20 long for almost a month now and he was a major pain to get out of my display. I REALLY don't want to go through trying to get him out of there again if there's anything left of the ich. I was thinking about adding a chromis to my sump (after its in a copper treated tank @ LFS) for a week and see if he comes down with anything. Has anyone done anything similar - or better - to test the waters after a disease outbreak?

~Will.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Your best bet will be to wait another two weeks. If there is still ich and you add a small fish to test for it you will restart the ich life cycle and have to wait another 6-8 weeks again for it to be clear.

4. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

oh, forgot to mention I was going to try this after week 6 of the display being fallow.

~Will.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I would wait until 8 weeks just to be safe. You dont want to have to start the fallow process all over again.

6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

how about a 100% water change from my hospital tank with DT water. if my tang gets ich again I could just re-treat with copper and be completely rid of it and know for sure if my DT still has ich or not.

~Will.