can your moon lights bee too bright?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by BrianJ, Feb 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

Lol, I think my question got answered. But yeah I wasn't really sure thanks for the advice, and my tank is around 4 months old now and im about to get some corals, and I just prefer white over blue like you said it looks more natural.

2. Click Here!

3. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

True true, i was jw tho, im curious to see if his corals are showing any different, then the blues would, like during the day, bc i think i read somewhere that they need time to rest as well

4. Los1980

Los1980 Purple Spiny Lobster

true but it's a good piece of info regarding lights. I never thought of keeping my 24hr moonlights on for the purpose of the fish's safety. I don't have anything in my tank to worry about yet. but it seems like moon lights are not a problem to keep on over night

5. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

yeah..but check it out..when you get some corals, put you a blue light in there and you wont leave your tank that night..its soo cool how blue moonlights make the flourescents pop out of the corals..

at least to me is..

6. saints fan 420

word.. but lets think about it and only cuz i have been grinding studying and in beast mode..the moonlights even tho they light up the tank a little it shouldnt have any affect on anything in the tank, regardless if we can see in the tank, naturally the corals we get are shallow water corals and when i am at my parents condo in destin and are in the water at night, its unreal how bright under the water is when the moon is out, my moonlights are automatic, if its a full moon outside then thats what it is in my tank and so on for all the other moonlight brightnesses or whatever you wanna call them, when its a full moon its pretty bright and even bright when its on a quarter moon, i dont think the light is bright enough to do anything...your tank just needs a break from the halides we have directly over them for 9 hours day or whatever people keep them and same goes for t5s and leds..

i have read somewhere that your moonlights have to be a certain lumen or lmcd or something, because they cause spawning to happen, this could be total horse s*** but ive read it somewhere a few times..

and im cracked out on adderal so sorry for the long post..

im looking for that post about the moonlights having to be that for spawning..it might have been on a sellers website..anyone else heard of this..

7. saints fan 420

yea my moonlights are on all night sometimes i run the white ones and sometime i run the blue ones, ive never seen ill affects with my tank from running either however long at whatever brightness/dimness they go too

yeah i def think it helps your fish out, when i was researching about nems i read alot of horror stories where peoples nems were eating fish and a bunch of people came somewhat to conclusion that they were running into them at night with a pitch black tank..most of them if not all of them since running moonlights have yet to have a problem with missing fish..this isnt a fact by any means but ill never have a black tank at night with a nem in it..