Can you use two sumps running separately on a dual overflow system?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by texanjordan, Jul 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

Im thinking about upgrading to a 125 gallon from a 65 gallon. The setup I currently use has a single overflow and I have it hooked up to a reef sump. If I upgraded to a dual overflow 125 gallon tank, could I simply hook up my existing sump to one of the overflows and returns, and hook up a refugium to the other overflow and return? In my mind this would work great, I can have all of my equipment in my sump, and run Macro in my Fuge. All water should theoretically, flow thru both of the sumps at some point reguraly, right???????

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

As long as your return lines back to your tank are somewhat distributed, yes the water should mix plenty for you. Flow for each will be determined by the individual pump of course. I don't see a problem with this idea though.

4. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

I dont think it would work. Unless the return pumps from each sump are returning the EXACT same amount of water (practically impossible to do), one sump will fall behind the other, resulting in one having more water than it can return (possibly overflowing), and the other not having enough water.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

A ball valve on one of the gravity lines to go to the sump with lower flow would take care of it. The water would go to the path of least resistance, which would be the other overflow.

6. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

I always use PVC piping going from my bulkhead to the intake of the sump, if I threw a ball valve on both intakes on both sumps that should take away any possibility of overflow, right?

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Rather than worrying about running two sumps and two return pumps, have both overflows running to your current sump. Drill a hole in the end of this sump so you can install a bulkhead. This will be a gravity-fed line going to the next sump tank (or fuge, depending what order you want it to be). Have the return pump ins this lower, second tank. Tee off the return line to go to both overflow boxes.

Another option would be to use your 65 gallon tank as a DIY sump and have it running next to or behind the display tank. This will work best if you have a separate room or closet you can commandeer and run plumbing through the wall(s).

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

That's been tried plenty of times, and nobody could ever get everything adjusted perfectly, that way. The easiest and safest solution is to plumb the sumps together so that the water can level itself between them. You would then only need one return pump. :)

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

That still wouldn't help you during a power outage though. You would still need check valves on the pump discharge lines going back to the DT. Having a ball valve on the intake line of the sump with the smaller sump would allow you to regulate flow going to an individual sump.

To further take out any risk, you may want to setup a high float for each sump that will kill power to both pumps. This way if one pump was clogged up or failed, both pumps would shut off. Otherwise the good pump would keep pumping and fill both sumps evenly, eventually causing it to overflow. A good reef controller system (I use a reefangel) should have no problem with this.

11. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

The only way this works is to have the two sumps connected with a pipe so they always stay the same level.

12. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

I think you are getting a lot of misinformation here. From your OP this would work just fine. You can have a sump/fuge each with their own respective return. Each outflow from your DUAL overflow will result in the return pump settling the return out to the tank. Obviously, you need 2 outflows from the tank and 2 returns to the tank.

Beyond that, it would work just fine.