can you superglue underwater??

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by grinder37, Mar 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Like putting glue on a fragplug or a frag and then sticking it in place???I have my aquascape close to where i want it,but now i don't want to remove the rock to attach things to it.Anyone?? :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

You can use super glue just make sure its the gel type. Also it will set extremely fast once it hits the water.

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

If you put a large amount of gel super glue on the frag. Then quickly place it on the rock and push it should work.

5. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

I've had success by putting glue on the bottom of a frag outside of the water, dipping it for 10 seconds, taking it out again and putting some more on, then sticking it directly to whatever you want. creates sort of a dual layer cohesion thing.

Be prepared to screw up once or twice, it's sort of a PITA.

6. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Thanks,I have a coral and some macro shipping in,and the way the rock is,some can't come out without disturbing the whole thing(it's only a little 20 gal,but every peice is in there like a jigsaw puzzle,and yea,I did know about using the gel(just forgot to mention)but i have some great spots picked out and i don't want to screw up how i have it now.

7. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

When you put the frag in place give it a little twist then just hold it there for a little bit. It should stick just fine.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

my experience too.

agreed you want the gel type.

10. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

It has been my experience to to get a bit of a "skin" formed on the surface of the tank water when using the gel super glue underwater.

When gluing, I turn all pumps off, so removing the "skin" from the surface was easy and I have not worried about removing all of it.