Can you superglue pulsing xenia???

Discussion in 'Frags' started by bama, Oct 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Im just wondering this because I wanted to get them to attach to the inside of a half clam shell.. in doing this I cannot use the toothpick and rubberband method due to the shape of the shell.. So, would it kill the xenia if I placed a spot of glue in the bottom of the shell and stuck it on?

thanks and karma for good answers.. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i don't know but that sounds like a cool idea! i want to see pics when your done!

2 people like this.
  4. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

as long as it is non-toxic and it sets well i wouldnt see any problem. i have super glued mushrooms and had no problems with it, so i would imagine that it wouldnt be an issue with xenia. not to mention it is an incredibly resiliant coral. mine has been picked clean by my peppermint shrimp(rip) three times and it is still going strong. it fully regrew each time so if i can go through that i dont see why it couldnt take some super glue. non-toxic though!

1 person likes this.
  5. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

I'd use the glue gel and since it's inside a clam shell you could even take it out. Yes you can use it - our class tank has xenia glued to the back wall of the tank.

1 person likes this.
  6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

It ususally doesn't take well with xenia.
    I just rubber-band them to the frag until it can attach itself. Seems to be the best/easiest way to frag the softies like xenia, leathers, kenya, etc.

1 person likes this.
  7. bama

bama Humpback Whale

K+++ thanks for the input.. Im going to give it a shot with the superglue.. if it turns south, I still have too much xenia.. Any more input will be appreciated..

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Stick a plastic container in your tank and fill it with shells or rubble. Cut your Xenia frags and drop them inside the container. Turn your pumps off when you are cutting the xenia. Pumps don't need to stay off after you drop the frags in the container. In a couple of days they'll attach to a piece of rubble. If a piece doesn't attach in a day or two its because it wasn't in good contact with a piece of rubble or shell. Just reposition it and try again. I fragged tons of Xenia this way.

Hopefully this picture gives you an idea of what I mean. The stupid clown fish took to hosting (and feeding) the container. It has never hosted my BTAs in my tank though.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I was thinking about doing that trick with the bucket but I really dont have any room for any of my containers that size.. Im cramped for space in a 30

11. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

it will most likely slim up when you apply the glue.

12. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

if a toothpick is too small to work for the clam shell, maybe some wooden shish-ka-bob skewers would work. I have doubts about the glue holding onto a fresh cut (read: super slimy) xenia frag.

~Will.