Can you install sumps without drilling?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Ryan Duchatel, Jun 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I know that I'll be very happy I did it. Anyone want to insure me a 55 gallon tank?;D

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

hold the phone, most 55 cant be drilled (from what ive read). they usually tempered glass, double check with the manufacturer and do all the tests to find out for sure (polarized glasses, etc....)

I broke one while trying to drill it last month. It had a sticker that said bottom tempered, didnt mention the sides. the back was tempered for sure.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Might have just made my decision for me then.

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

It sucks, but if you upgrade in the future i would urge you to consider getting something that can be drilled. The majority of other tanks can, with the bottom glass being the exception. they are usually tempered.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

If I ever do upgrade in the future, it will be to either a 75 or a 90 and I might try and find one pre-drilled, assuming the price is right. No big deal, a HOB will do.

7. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Mine is a 55g to. So I might have the same issue. I have heard the CPS overflows that use another air pump to maintain the siphon can be really problematic, but a few people have recommended the Eshopps overflow boxes as they dont require the siphon.

To determine if its tempered I can just stick my phone in the tank and look through the glass yeah?

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Gotta wear polarized shades. And im sure you know to do it to an empty tank... lol And if its empty, put a laptop or someting in it.

10. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I mean dont require the other air pump.