Can you install sumps without drilling?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Ryan Duchatel, Jun 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I am going to be doing a sump soon and I am just going with overflow box, my plans is to place a flow adjustment in the return line and with some playing around eventually you will be able to match the overflow and the return pump water volumes, my thought is drilled or not you still have to match water valume in and out.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I like the idea of drilling my tank as it will look nicer, I just can't get the though out of my mind that I will crack it. Glass-holes.com offers complete packs (including diamond bit) starting at $40 (200 GPH without slits- $10 for lid) and a return kit for $25. I could buy a 300 GPH kit for $5 more.

That's a heck of a deal, imo. I would pay that much or more for a HOB overflow. But again, drilling scares me.

4. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Drilling is easy, as long as you know its not tempered glass, just let the weight of the drill do the work. set the clutch to the least setting it goes, or one of them. So if it grabs it wont torque and break the glass.

Its nerve racking, but simple. Its worth it, and you drill a hole where you want the level of the water to be, thats it. Sort of near the top will do okay.

5. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

I've never had any trouble with my overflow box hanging on the back.

6. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

But the possibility exists. Enough for me to go with something that will NEVER go wrong. ever and drilling a tank makes it more silent, which i cant argue with.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Jeff, the skimmer box inside your tank (whether HOB or drilled) maintains the water level in your DT, so the overflow will automatically match the return rate. :)

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I agree with other drill! As mentioned, glass-holes is a good resource. HOB overflow boxed are pretty reliable. I had an external overflow box for a few years, without issue, until one day, my tank was on the floor.. They are "pretty reliable", but do fail and when they do it is a big mess...

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I can't bring myself to do it. I even considered bringing it to a glass shop, but I know that they won't take any responsibility for it.

11. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Okay, if you are afraid to drill then just do one practice hole on a 10 gallon. according to glass-holes 10 gallons are the hardest to drill because the glass is so thin. If you can drill that with no problem then thicker glass should be an issue. Ive drilled 2 10 gallons, no cracks or breaks at all. Its really quite easy...... i have a crappy drill too.

12. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

You can do it! I used glass holes and it was easier than I thought. Trust me you'll be happy you did it!