Can you help ID this please !!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by nikkinchip, Jul 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nikkinchip

nikkinchip Plankton

Hello!!

I am very new to this. I actually purchased about a month ago an established aquarium. It's 48g with about 40 lbs of LR. She had this aquarium set up for about 2 yrs she said. I reused the same water & LR when I transported to my home and reset it up. I did not take her live stock, but did end up with a few snails and bristle worms. After the second week, my nitrate & PH levels were good so I added one small blue Hippo and one small Percula clownfish. The last week my rock started turning a brown(LR was a pretty red) and now has this weird stuff growing on it. I'm noticing it growing on other other LR as well. Could someone help me ID what this could be? I showed my LFS but they were unsure what it is. What clean up crew would help me out best?
    Also I do not have a sump system, just a Aqueon 55 that hangs on the back of tank. I just changed out the two filters with new ones a few days ago and have been doing 1-2 weekly 5-7 g water changes to help reduce nitrate levels

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

can't see the actual algae - but from your description it sounds like turf algae

4. nikkinchip

nikkinchip Plankton

sorry not sure why my pic's are so small

5. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Are you sure it isn't cyto?
    Xtalreef

Near the bottom