Can you have TOO MUCH Biological filtration?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Blue Falcon, Jun 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Hey all. So I've always been under the impression that you can never have too much filtration. However, I just started reading a book called "Experts guide to saltwater filters" and the author states that and aquarium with live rock should not have anymore biological filtration such as a wet dry filter due to the fact that the more bacteria you have the more nitrates they will produce. But won't they only produce nitrates at the same rate they are getting ammonia and nitrites? A bacteria colony should even itself out (growing when more food is available and dieing when non is available). Is he right? Is there something I'm overlooking? It just doesn't make since to me. I want to hear your opinions on this. Also, while I'm on the subject of biological filtration, i was reading on another forum that 1 1/2 inches of sand is not acceptable; and you should have either a 1/2 inch less or a 1/2 inch more. What's the deal with 1 1/2 inches? It also said that more than 6" is bad.

Thank you all for you answers in advance.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

1-2" of sand is fine, more is going to be a problem down the road, less might not handle the bioload as well.
    I've heard complaints about skimmers starving coral of the rather minimal sea snow which is generated in a tank. I don't think though that (within reason) you can have too much filtration, feel free to hook your tank up to the ocean.

I've given this some additional thought. I think that it's possible to have too much mechanical filtration, again, re-iterating my concerns above. Too much LR could cause a low flow area in the tank (Which can result in cyano and other problems). Keep your skepticism going here. I can't agree that other than overskimming or a flow problem that there can be too much natural filtration in the tank. This simply strikes me as bogus. I also note that larger tanks with more filtration are more stable.

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

bacteria will balance itself out in your LR. You can't have too much LR in this sense.

the way I see it, having a LOT of LR, negates the need for a wet/dry or a canister filter.

bacteria make nitrates from breaking down ammonia and then nitrites. so... like you said...

Several of us here don't run these things but have 2lbs+ LR per gallon.

Most of us here run sand beds at 2 inches(ish). 6 inches is bad in a display, but can be setup in a fuge. that's a whole notha topic. search DSB or Deep Sand Bed in the 3reef search to find more info on that.

This book sounds like the type i would just put back on the shelf.

1 person likes this.
  5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

No matter how much rock or whatever you have, there will only be enough bacteria to break down the available wastes. There is nothing you can do for "extra" bacterium.
    The nitrate issues with something like a wet dry or canister is not because of more bacteria. Bacteria does remove nitrates, and can do it quite effectively (converting it into gas). The problem is that those wet drys or canisters are NOT biological filters, they are mechanical. They do not harbor enough low oxygen areas for the proper bacteria to break down the wastes, therefore the wastes are allowed to run amuck uncontrolled, causing nitrate issues, unless proper manual maintenance is performed to clean out the wastes regularly.

6. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

yeah i was kinda disappointed in the book. Paid $14 dollars for it and didn't learn a thing. I could have written that thing. LOL

7. trelane

+K Yes you _COULD HAVE_ so do it!

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Not sure I fully understand/agree. Wet/dry filters ARE used more for biological filtration (not mechanical) and bacteria grows faster in a high oxygen environment (the "trickle" effect) in which the media is not fully submerged but "showered", not a low oxygen environment.

10. trelane

aerobic or anaerobic :) (this should answer your confusion)

11. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

:idea: GOTCHA ;) Thanks for that knock on the head.