CAn you feed sun polyps too much?

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by jdameli1, Oct 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

I have this frag of sun polpys, probably have had it around 4 months. Its never grown. Then I started feeding it mysis, and its exploding, has a new polyp a day almost

my only concern is im feeding it too much it has around 14 heads now, but it will eat all hours of the day with no issue.i am meticulous with they eye dropper, so there is no waste worry about, if the occasional shrimp floats away the fish get it right away. and amazingly enough they dont try to steal it from them.

I work from home, so I have been feeding like 4 of 5 times a day. I think its cause im good at it. I suck at feeding the other corals

2. Click Here!

3. Reef Queen

Reef Queen Feather Duster

i would think if it didnt want to eat it wouldnt...since they dont get nourishment from lighting like most corals i think your doing fine...most people dont feed their suns enough! and since you are getting such good growth it sounds like they couldnt be happier with all the food!

4. thedog12

thedog12 Astrea Snail

i have always wanted to get some of these but i am scared they will die on me because i would never be home to feed them, i wish i could feed mine 4-5 times a day. i think they are kind of like any other coral you have to feed, if they dont want to eat they wont open up

5. zoazack911

zoazack911 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

they will eat as much as they want. if they dont eat then you know they are full. also sometimes after big fatty meals they close up for a while. kind of that coma people go into after Thanksgiving dinner. just remember the more they reproduce the more hungry mouths you have to feed haha.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you start to have algae issues or elevations in nitrate levels you are feeding too much.