Can there be too much Macro Algae in fuge????

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by surferdude, Jan 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. surferdude

surferdude Banned

What is the proper amount of Chaeto and Macro Algae to keep in the Refugium???? I think I have too much slowing down circulation in my sump. What other issues can be caused from Over Stocking????

2. Click Here!

3. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

you want to avoid macro so thick that the stuff on bottom starts to die due to lack of light. I used to rotate my chaeto

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I have 0 nitrates... macro algae's die in my system... any amount is too much for me apparently :-/

;D

5. surferdude

surferdude Banned

Yeah, mine used to die also.....today i wanted to thin out my Macro and when I pulled out a chunk there were like 30-40 cope pods bursting out at me.....had to slide it back in and shake a little before pulling out to toss. Mine was restricting flow causing return to be too slow resulting in bubbles in return line. I think and Hope. we'll see???

6. colodan

colodan Fire Shrimp

I thought that was one of the purposes of the fuge. Export nitrates. The macro grows and spreads, you trim it back, and give to fellow reefers, see if LFS will give store credit, or throw in trash, all while taking nitrates out of your system. by trimming back you are giving more room to grow and eat up more nitrates.

7. surferdude

surferdude Banned

Yeah, my neighbor likes my tank soo much that he has started a small 30G and I gave her the Macro to use in her fuge.....she thanked me over and over. Maybe she will also share with someone else. :sneaky: