Can table sea salt be used in reef aquariums???

Discussion in 'Salt' started by libog2fish, Feb 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. naksampotah

naksampotah Plankton

Got this from some research posted on the net.
    "If your sea salt is gathered from the same region as the fish, then I wouldn't think you'd have any problem. Just be sure to dilute it to a salinity (Specific gravity) of 1.020 to 1.022. If you can get a sea water sample from your region and check it with a hydrometer, it may be a different salinity, so use whetever you have locally as your base salinity target and you should be fine.

Gourmet Sea Salt or Bay Salt (used for seasoning food) could theoretically be used since it is usually produced by the evaporation of salts from the ocean or a bay. It is however, much more expensive to use than my own preference (Instant Ocean brand of aquarium sea salts).

The biggest differences between the two are that Instant Ocean has a smaller grain size and therefore dissolves quicker and more easily and it also is cleaned of impurities that may be present in Sea Salt or Bay Salt. Commercial aquarium sea salts also have been analyzed and upgraded to include specific minerals and salts that are necessary for the good health of your fish. Food-based sea salts may be lacking in some of the essential chemicals needed for their good health.

It's exactly those impurities within sea salt and bay salt that provide the flavor desired in the foods that are seasoned with it, but those impurities may or may not be beneficial to aquarium fish.

For instance, one of my favorites, black sea salt from Hawaii, contains a certain amount of black lava as a flavoring agent...This is fairly inert and won't hurt your fish, but it won't help either. Black lava specks in your white gravel might not be so appealing from an aesthetic point of view.

Pink Alae sea salt from Hawaii, on the other hand contains a large amount of red clay which would NOT be beneficial to aquarium fish as it could scratch their sensitive gill surfaces while suspended in the water column.

In essence, if you could find a relatively pure source of gourmet sea salt with almost no impurities, you would do "OK" by your fish to use it, but my advice would be that it is better to be certain of the contents (as you would be with commercial aquarium sea salts), for the better health of your fish."

Since I'm from Philippines I have access to unrefined sea. I purchased the salt where i got the fish. It worked for me. If I get sea water it will weigh around 900lbs. If I use sea salt I will need 20 lbs of it. Sea salt cost $2 per 20 lbs. Unlike synthetic ones which cost $50 (good for 75 gallons). Then i purchased test kits around $20 and supplements around $10 which are good for 200 gallons. My tank is 1 year old now. I got Tomato and Percula Clown fishes , Black and Clown Trigger fishes, Yellow Tangs, an unidentified eel and some invertebrates.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
    Billme likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

naksampotah, the original question was about reef aquariums. As already stated certain components, necessary for a reef, such as calcium and bicarbonate, for example, will not redissolve. In addition certain invertebrates will likely be more sensitive than fish, to impurities and lack of various components and definitely will be quite sensitive to a s.g. of 1.020 to 1.022, although I didn't quite follow that part....

4. naksampotah

naksampotah Plankton

thats what i get from the net. im using 1.025

5. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

I'm new and I would think there would be an iodine problem if you used table sea salt

6. beastium

beastium Plankton

Now, what about using reef salt for seasoning human food?? Anyone try that?

Billme likes this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Sea salt is typically solar salt. When you use that process, magnesium and other minerals drop out. This is how mag and such is isolated. Same ponds as table salt. My employer is far more into cost saving given our total volume is well above a million gallons. We buy salt by the semi truck. We scour the planet to find the right salt. We also use truck loads of magnesium and other minerals to get that salt to the right levels.

Clay will not scratch your fishes gills. In fact, clay is used in many koi feeds, and recently has become a go to for aquaculture (fish and shrimp). The clay used knocks down bacteria levels and helps with other stuff.

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

old thread but good stuff Gresham!!:cool: