Can someone explain what surging is?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by wbodei, Dec 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wbodei

wbodei Plankton

Hello,
    I'm new to this forum and just set up a 90 gallon All-Glass aquarium with a sump filter with one of those megaflow corner units.The water in the corner where the plumbing is fluctates up and down a few inches, accompanied by a loud whooshing sound that sounds like waves at the ocean. Is that normal? Is that, as per what I have read in some threads, called surging? It's a tad loud and annoying. When it's not 'surging', it seems nice and quiet and works fine. I'm not sure if I have set up something incorrectly, or of this is normal for drilled tanks with sump filters and a megaflow plumbing set up. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Bill

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Re: megaflow aquariums

Hi welcome to 3reef!

I recall a fix for this that was posted by 3reef Moderator Jason McKenzie.

I'll send a PM to have him post back.

I'll try to search for it too.

Thanks for joining!

4. wbodei

wbodei Plankton

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Wbodei,
    This is related to the amount of air allowed into the overflow tube. Are you using the stock All Glass overflow?
    [​IMG]
    As shown here?

If this is the case you likely need to raise or lower the riser tube.

Give that a try and let me know

J

1 person likes this.
  6. wbodei

wbodei Plankton

Hi Jason,
    Yes I do have an adjustable 'stock' All-Glass Over Flow tube, and a # 3 filter box. I can see huge bursts of air bubbles going into the acryllic box underneath that correspond to the raising and lowering of the water level in the overflow corner chamber. I have tried both raising and lowering this tube, but that does not seem to be clearing this issue. The fluctations did seem to lessen as I lowered the tube, but did not disapear altogether. The further I lowered it, the lower the water in the corner chamber goes, and vice versa, when I raise it. The other issue is there is a hole in the return pipe elbow before the black screw on double hose feeding back into the tank. Lowering the tube exaggerates the sound of the return water into the corner coming out of this hole so any advantage of lowering the tube is traded for a new water cascading sound. (Is that elbow supposed to have a hole there?) I'm concerned and don't know what to do now. The mega flow assembly came with no instructions btw, and barring my fresh water experience with standard over the back filters, I'm new to this.
    Thanks, Bill

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Bill,

Your return should not have a hole in it. I would exchange wherever you purchased your aquarium if they have replacement parts or call AGA. 1-800-255-4527 (Actually, they usually want you to call them because most stores don't carry the replacement parts).

Are you sure your kit is that exact same one where the water enters the upside down drain pipe. I know their older model had problems like you're describing but I thought when they went to this drainpipe design, all of the sound stopped.

Here's the instructions

8. Click Here!

9. wbodei

wbodei Plankton

Hi Curt,
    I looked over the docs I do have, and the directions you posted.

The 'hole' I am referring to in the return is in the 3/4" elbow. Then I see *NOTE: The small hole in the "3/4" elbow" is an anti-siphon feature in the even of a power outage and must remain open. So I understand why that is there now.

In regards to which overflow accessory kit I have, it is # 29251, which I assume is new, as there is a sticker on it that says now includes 'dual nozzle', and it was ordered from my local Pet's Plus distributor.

I also found a sheet titled recommended Drain Pipe Adjustment, and it says I need to remove the cap to grip more of the inner pipe for adjustment. I did not do this, I simply slid the whole assembly up and down. Perhaps this is a key step I am missing?

I think I need to keep tinkering with this drain pipe, as it does seem to me that an exceesive amount of air going into the bottom sump container is the cause of my problems. Any other suggestions?

Is simply sliding the whole asembly up or down while its all put together the same as unscrewing the cap? Is there an ideal distance from the top of the overflow chamber that this air intake elbow should be? Are there internal parts that need to be aligned up or down that I am overlooking? Should I kill the power on the filter while I am making the adjustments? So far I have tried it both ways with power on and power off.

Regards, Bill

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Gotcha...I misunderstood.

[​IMG]

Hopefully. I had this on a 75g AGA and once I installed the newer type of overflow, my surging immediately ended. It sounds like I was lucky.

I think you're right. Fiddle with it a bit and then call customer service tomorrow if you can't figure it out. I do know of one trick that might be useful. If you are using flexible hose to go to the sump. Put a couple twists or bends in it as opposed to dropping straight into the sump.

11. wbodei

wbodei Plankton

I've already got one 360 degree loop in the hose, but I will continue to tinker and call AGA customer service as you suggested. I'll post any progress or lack of progress here in a day or two. Thanks to everyone so far who has replied! Great Forum guys!

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I believe We need to increase the air coming into the assembly The air hole at the very top of the drain. Is it as pictured just a hole or have they changed that?

J