Can saltwater be cured?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by turbo4603, Nov 16, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Guys, curiosity is invading me.
    if i go to the beach and get 40 gallons of water, can i cure it?
    Explain PLEEEEEASE!
    THANX
    JOE

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

In general natural sea water from the beach is very contaminated with pollutants.  For example, the Aquarium of the Pacific, in Long Beach, CA, goes out 15 miles in an incoming tide and collects the water from a depth of 15 feet.  

I know Matt Rogers gets his own NSW from time to time, but goes for quite a swim to do it.   You can keep it in a clean container for a while but I'm not sure that it cures in the manner you are thinking of.  Let me know if I've confused you at all.

4. turbo4603

no on the contrary,
    just to try it out too see what happens, i whent to a beach and pulled out some particularly nice rocks with aparent life and put those in a quarantine tank with ocean water sand and a powerhead.
    Thanx a lot craig. hopefully nothing bad happens to the rocks. ill let u guys know.

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Make sure you're not violating any marine environment protection laws. I believe Florida has some pretty stringent restrictions on collecting things from the ocean.

6. turbo4603

Yeah, definitely. It is very illegal to harm any of our local reefs. However, I picked these little guys from a local beach. They were washed up on the shore. No harm done here. They just have some nice "live" spots. I mean it's not Fiji Premium or anything. But hey, it's free, and it's natural. And it might be good.

Just an experiment. Let me know what you think. Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanx
    joe

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey Joe - I understand the enthusiasm. It's fun doing that stuff! You could do a species tank. I tried that myself with some local rockweeds but then I made the mistake of introducing a Mexican sea urchin. Duh. So much for the plants. But they did leave a bunch of bugs. Some really weird ones too.

FYI - Some people in your area use pool pumps hooked up to cigarette lighters in their cars and go to the end of piers and suck up salt water for their tanks.

My only advise to not put stuff back in the ocean in general, esp. if you have been medicating your tank, etc. Oh, and don't swim with sharks. ;D

8. Click Here!

9. turbo4603

hey matt,
    am i suposed to have sand in the q tank with the rocks i got? And is the powerheads current suppose to hit the rock directly or just circulate on the surface. Besides that, How can i be a reef protector? I saw u and craig have it and was wondering .

Thanx Joe

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

If you are just curing rock, you don't need the sand.
    Like in normal tanks, you just want the powerheads to create the best circulation in the tank as a whole with as few dead current spots as possible. That may be one on the top, or on the side, etc.. don't sweat it too much.

To become a 3reef Reef Protector, click on the ship under my avatar, that will take you to the Planetary Coral Reef Foundation donation page. Read what it's about and make a donation to help the cause, then you can have a 3reef Reef Protector Badge too! ;) :) 8)