Can only one clownfish host an anemone out of a pair?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Claic Yuzolt, Oct 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

I just found out that one of my Black Percs. are hosting my Bubble Tip Anemone. The problem is the other one won't go near it. Will it eventually go with its mate or maybe not ever?

I've had the two for almost a year now.

2. Click Here!

3. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

i have read somewhere that a pair of clowns can host the same anemone but it depends on the anemone size. i have never had an anemone to testify for sure.

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

If the anemone is large enough both clowns will host in it.

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on above 2

I have not had any clowns hosting nems, but have had them hosting LPS ( elegance and bubble over the years) IME it takes them a while to build up tolerance to the stings and I have often found that 1 clown adjusts/ adapts 1st and the other 1 follows a bit later

on other occasions when the fish where smaller and not a true pair, the 1st clown in the coral did try and keep the other clown from coming in, but as said above, when it was a large elegance coral the subordinate clown did manage to sneak in and remain there skirting the edges away from the dominant one

Steve

6. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i have a pair of o clowns that host my RBTA. They both snuggle in there.

7. bobinthebag

bobinthebag Plankton

It's a good question, I would have assumed the pair would both host the anemone... However I recently introduced a bubble tip into my aquarium and only one of the clowns is hosting it. Funny as they were both joined by the fin, but now one has ditched his mate and spends all his time in the anemone instead. The other clown now swims around on his own at the back of the tank.

As a few other people suggested perhaps the anemone is just not big enough yet to host two clowns, only time will tell I guess.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

firstly, clowns can not host anything other than parasites and disease.....its the anemone that does the hosting. secondly its possible that out of the two clowns, one has developed the mucus coating needed to protect it from the nems stings faster. if the nem is large enough they will eventually both end up in it...though iv seen mine take turns in smaller nems

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Vinnyboombatz and DSC reef like this.
  10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

by the way those are beautiful clowns

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Old thread. Before the hosting sheriff and his deputies were on duty.lol;)
    Just because 2 clowns co exist peacefully for a long time does not necessarily mean they are male and female.:confused:o_O

Swisswiss and DSC reef like this.
  12. bobinthebag

bobinthebag Plankton

Hosting sheriff lol.