can LR be second hand??

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by crustytheclown, Sep 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

i am starting a tank with my friend and we found a guy who is selling lots of live rock, can you use this to start a tank or do you have to order it and then cure it and cycle or whatever???

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Yup you can use it, actually better to buy cured live rock from another persons tank.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Second hand rock needs to be completely nuked unless you personally know and trust the individual who is selling it.

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Agreed. You want absolute control over what goes into your tank.

6. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

ok so if i buy live rock online do i buy cured or uncured??? we just filled the tank today with water??? How long do we have to wait to add LR??

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

if you just filled the tank, get your lr, nuke it and add it to your tank. You will go through a cycle. Personally though, I would just buy dry baserock. It will become live and you know what you are putting in your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

FWIW, all LR is second hand.. unless it is DIY LR.

;)

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

point horkn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;d

11. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

If you buy cured (wet) live rock from the internet, it could come with pests like aiptasia anemones and coral eating hitchhikers along with many unwanted organisms that don't belong in a reef. Not to mention that the rock will still have some die off in shipping because they do not ship the rock with a bucket of water, usually damp paper towels or something. If you buy from a trusted local source, you may be ok. If you buy from some random local source, chances are you'll get some sort of surprise with the rock.

If you buy uncured (dry) rock, you can just pop it in your tank because there is no life on it, especially because this is a brand new tank. This is what most would recommend. You can usually find dry fiji rock for aroun 2 bucks a pound a local fish stores. This way, you only get what you put in your tank. No surprises.

12. kdneo

kdneo Fire Shrimp

don't you have to seed the base rock though?