Can I use the skimmer as a return pump?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by coyle, Apr 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

Could I take a spray injection skimmer (aquac ev 120) and using my mag 7 return pump use that to power my return line back to the display tank? For example say the water comes into the skimmer via the mag 7 then when it exits if I hook it to the return line would it basically be the same as if I was using the mag 7 for a return pump just going thru the skimmer first? Then I save space and double use that pump.

2. Click Here!

3. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

You would probably get a million microbubbles in the DT

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

You would probably have to build some sort of manifold to do it, but that may take away from the performance of your skimmer. Im sure someone will chime in that knows what you need to do.

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

if the plumbing rises above the collection cup water will fill it and then overflow.. Wont work, sorry..

6. Sco-tie

Sco-tie Bristle Worm

to do this you would have to have the outlet of the skimmer above the DT which would require a separate stand for the skimmer along and most proably would be top heavy so that a no no. so why dont you use you return pump just as a return pump and then have your drain line going to a T with taps and then tap some of your drain water into your skimmer and have that as your skimmer feed. then have the skimmers output going into the sumps intake. this way you are still using one pump but also feeding the skimmer. naturally you will need the pump that is adding air into the skimmer but that is as standard. other wise you could put a manifold on your pumps outlet and feed the skimmer that way but you would still need to have the skimmers outlet back into the sump.

7. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

Of course. I saw that yesterday when I was filling my watering can with the hose, it overflowed from the end when the water level got higher. So, I get that. I guess if I really wanted to do this I could plumb the overflow to get it that way but it might not have enough pressure; I'm thinking it would be possible to use a remora pro ho and run the return hose into it (though it's looking like I'll just get a good in sump and forget this.) Thank you.

8. Click Here!

9. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

you can split your return pump with a tee and send one to the skimmer and the other to the DT. if your pump provides enough gph and make sure to use valves so you can control everything easily.