Can I use rain water as Top Off water???

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Tundraburg, Sep 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

It should be cool as long as you are prepared to move it as it grows. I use my Naso tang as an excuse to get the 125 with the misses. Even she knows it's too cool of a fish to get rid of (it actually likes to be petted, and insists on jumping in front of the camera when your trying to take a pic of anything else).
    Bear in mind though that a lot of hippo's arent much fun to watch. I had one, and as soon as anybody got close to the tank it scooted away into it's hidey-hole. The only time I really got to view it was during feeding. Seems a lot of other's report this too.

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I used to live in a house where we would collect rainwater for our daily needs. It was quite the setup. No well, no city water. We would take really quick showers and wash the dishes, then rinse the dishes in water we collected from the park up the road aways. Never did we drink it. Never did we cook with it. We did not even give it to the dog.

1 person likes this.
  4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Wow, that's quite a story! You sure it's not Pharmrjohnboy? :) You're about my age so you should get that one.

1 person likes this.
  5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Good night Maryellen!!!!, Goodnight Elizabeth!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey tundra, just wondering what the plan/idea is with suspending those rocks?

7. ReefSparky

Yeppers!

Next time we'll discuss, "Come and let me tell ya' a story 'bout a man named Jed. . ." ;D

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

I was wondering the same thing. Is there a smilie of 3 questoin marks above a head without the sad face? If there was, It'd be perfect here.

10. ReefSparky

Of course, if those rocks were breaking rules, they deserve to be suspended. :)

1 person likes this.
  11. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

On Ocracoke island NC they used cistern's to store rain water for daily use up till about 30 years ago, they were not able to use wells there until cheap ro unit's came about due to salt contamination .

12. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

Well, I might have a chemistry degree but i know crap about fish, so...My idea behind this was, well there is a little bit of this live rock that might grow, and it might grow so large that some of the "live" would fall out of the rock and onto the other rocks in my tank if they stay suspended.

If I place the rock next to the none live rock then the hermits/snails/crabs jump on them and eat up all the good stuff. So that is why I have them suspended until told otherwise...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008