can I still use these lights?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by lmajor32, Jun 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lmajor32

lmajor32 Astrea Snail

It sounds like it might be worth the extra $60 to upgrade to the IceCaps and overdrive the bulbs. Bulbs won't last as long but will have more light than just the regular sunlight supplies t5. Does this sound like a good idea or am I wasting the $60 and the bulb life for what will amount to minimal gain from the same bulbs. I don't know if I will get into the corals that will need more light or not, but if I don't buy the correct setup now just in case, it will cost me more later.
    I guess my question is will the corals I can keep happy with the IceCaps be happy under the lighting of the sunlight supplies setup?

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

You really answered your own question. "If I don't buy the correct set up now just in case, it will cost me more later". If you are able to, then I would try and get the most wattage(par) that I can. You know that eventually you are going to want corals that are going to be more light demanding down the road. That is just the nature of the beast. I just love the metal halides!!!with the shimmer lines and all... But weight out the pros and cons and decide. Also check out some coral books and see the many types of corals and the requirements of each!

4. lmajor32

lmajor32 Astrea Snail

I just need to get on with it and buy them! :) Ity;s not like I can;t afford it or can't afford buying builbs every 10 months instead of 12. Geez! Thanks for the input, I'm buying IceCap today.

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

You will be amazed at how much light those t5 ho's put out.
    Break out the shades, take a picture and post it so you can show everyone :)

Jim

6. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

IMHO, going with a T5-ho is one of the best things that can be done here. Completely enclosed area you need to watch out for heat. PC units are hot running, MH are extremely hot running and T5-HO systems are warm running.

I have a TEK 8 bulb T5-HO 432watt setup on my 90gal and the temp went down 2 deg with this setup compared to my 4 bulb Coralife 260watts setup. Let me mention that the T5's are much brighter.

On your 75gal you could easily go with a 6 bulb or 8 bulb T5-HO hang it from the top of your cabinet this way you will still have enough room for access for feeding and other maintenance.

7. lmajor32

lmajor32 Astrea Snail

Suffice it to say that those things are rediculously bright! Almost too bright! I mounted all four to a piece of particle board and screwed to the top of cabinet so I can remove all at once if need be, then mounted the ballast to the side wall. Now I need ventilation because those things put off some heat. I need to find out how to vent it without having the door open. If not, the glare is too bright and ruins that whole built into the wall idea. I am thinking maybe a 4 inch duct with a fan going up through the top shelves into the attic, and another inlet vent in the back of the cabinet coming from the closet on the other side.

Is there any way to turn 2 of those buls off, sort of like a dawn dusk control I guess? I have icecap 660 and I am having to plug and unplug, but they are either all off or all on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Its beautiful!! Vent the heat away from the lights. You don't want to turn any of them off :)

If all the bulbs are powered from a single ballast, there is no good way to turn some of the bulbs on and some off.

Jim