can I still use these lights?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by lmajor32, Jun 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. morejongg

morejongg Astrea Snail

I really like how you have it built into the wall.
    The only thing I would worry about with increased lighting would
    be the heat factor.Do you have any way to vent the heat away from
    the light hood? Fan ? / Chiller?
    You can keep the puffer and trigger with live rock only,but I think they would
    both do a number on any corals,snails for clean up,etc. I think you will have to decide between your current fish and a reef tank.
    You would also need more circulation (water movement)in your tank,couple of
    power heads would help.
    There are no stupid questions.
    Everyone else started out as a newbie too.
    Some have just forgotten.
    Hope this helps.

2. Click Here!

3. BristleWorm

BristleWorm Plankton

Yeah its pretty creative however theres too many negatives to fix with ventalating the hood if you get MH, and having room for a sum/skimmer/refugium. You probably should pretty much just put it on a stand and start from there because you don't have any room.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

be careful in regards to temperature in that tight area with the lighting you use~~~~~~!!!!

5. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Incredible craftmanship in that unit! With your tight space I would do a T5 setup. You can keep any coral you wish under them and they do not run hot. Do a search here or on RC about them and you will be reading for days. Good luck

6. lmajor32

lmajor32 Astrea Snail

Thanks. Here are some pics with the skimmer in place. It is already spitting out bad stuff! I have it pulling water out of the rear area and dumping back into it, just in the next chamber over...it worlked out really well. I also have powerheads and the tank itself has a return for the water along the bottom and rioght siode for circulation.

If I go T5 and keep the top open about 3 inches most of the time with some fans do you think I will be ok? I was thinking about maybe somehow builing the vents into the door, or possibly venting up into the attic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  7. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

a t5 will run a little hotter than a NO unit-so you are good to go! Get some LR and you will be on your way. Feel free to PM me with your # and I can give you a buzz if you might have any other ?-good luck!
    Those fake plants should be put in a beta tank!!!!!!!! Or one with a treasure air bubble chest!!-JMHO

8. Click Here!

9. lmajor32

lmajor32 Astrea Snail

LOL, that is too funny. That is what I told my wife about the plants.

I went and bought 48 pounds of cured live rock at $3 per pound. Didn't seem like a bad deal since it was the same as the uncured rock in a box from the other store and I got to pick the pieces I liked. Did the smell test. I think I will buy another 40 pounds or so. Would you suggest a differnt type for the other 40#?

Now all I need are lights and I was thinking about getting these tomorrow since they are local socal and I can pick them up and save shipping at least.

http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104068.html

What do you think of those lights and price?

Updated pics below. Thnks for all the help. If I need help I will send #. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104068.html

10. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

It's hard to go wrong with the t5 ho bulbs. Once your tank settles down and matures a little. Then you could start adding some corals to compliment your fish.

Jim

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

lmajor, to give you a good idea of where you should be, lighting-wise, try calculating the watts per gallon with a lighting setup you are interested in. For a 75g, you should be at around 5-6wpg for a healthy system. If keeping softies, they will absolutely love that wattage range. I'm borderline 6wpg and all my stonies are doing great. Softies will need about 4wpg+.

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

You need to decide what types of corals you want to keep. Some of the Blue/purple etc. acroporas and many Montipora's like Denae(superman) require very intense lighting to keep the vivid colors. On the most part though, with 5-7 watts per gallon of light, you can keep almost anything.