Can I see pics of your dual overflow plumbing/pipe routing?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mario8402, Dec 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Really it is only a pipe, with kind ogf a reverse durso on it.

I have since changed toa massively oversized 2" version and it made it even beter.

I drilled a bunch of holes int he bottom area of the 2" pvc toward the bottom.

It seems to work pretty well, but I drilled holes too high into the gurgle buster to keep the bubbles in the pipe.

While the durso overflows do work, and are much quieter than many other options, the herbie standpipe seems to be the ticket to making the overflow silent.

I have not yet tried to make a herbie (or 2), but I suspect I will soon.

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Did it reduced your sump bubbles?
    If I had a pre-drilled tank, I would go with the Herbie design in a heart bit. That would also increase my turn over flow at least to 20 X per hour or so. I have to slow down my return pump to probably 20% or less of its total capacity, and of course, my flow in the DT is great because of the power heads, but as far as turn over goes.... not so good at all. I need to be able to open my overflow box fully, or figure something else out without all the sump bubbles and salt creep.

I think I've seen somebody improvised a Herbie with an overflow box and some PVC, I can't seem to find it again :(

- Mag.

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I thought the same thing too. It was pretty slick. I think it was on RC. I'll try to find it for you.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Darn it, it is not where I thought it was. Out of ideas except google.

6. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I'm so used to hearing my tank that it's eerily quiet when I turn the pumps all off... I wouldn't have it any other way...