Can I see pics of your dual overflow plumbing/pipe routing?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mario8402, Dec 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

I am working on my return plumbing on my 180 and I am getting some noise and bubbles etc..
    Was wondering how everyone was getting the pipes in the water, elbows etc..
    The cap on the durso have been drilled to 1.25" to eliminate the surging/flushing
    Here are the durso pipes I made
    [​IMG]
    ok, here is the right hand side plumbing..
    I am getting waterfal noise from right here
    [​IMG]
    then it goes down a bit and tees off
    [​IMG]
    I have it going down to the fuge and its still puts out some bubbles even with the pipes so high lol. yes I have a vent in the cap, without the cap it makes alot of noise and splashes everywhere
    notice both valves open, on this side.. if I close one or the other it puts out alot of bubbles
    [​IMG]
    here is where it goes into the water, notice the bubbles.. notice the bubbles.. it makes noise and eventually bubbling is gonna make alot of salt creep everywhere
    [​IMG]
    here is the left side plumbing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this my first plumbing DIY so I dont know if the bubbling in the sump is normal or the noise lol

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

IMO the noise is inherent in plumbing of this type. I have some bubbles come from my drain too. It's really subjective though, I don't mind the noise, others may think it's really loud.

4. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

I can get the bubbles nearly silent, I just think that it will be an issue down the line with the bubbles popping and getting salt creep everywhere.
    I was thinking of switching that drain to a spa flex, but I am not 100% sure that this would cure it. I have no experience with pvc for the drains so I wasnt sure if this was normal noise/bubbling.

5. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

I have similar problems with waterfall noise in my plumbing. I am pretty sure it is the 90 degree elbows like you have, I have the same thing. I think that using flex hose would eliminate alot of it. I might redo mine one day but the noise doesn't really bother me

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

The only way to eliminate bubbles entirely is to use the herbie method (or something based on that method) which uses a siphon drain line along with an emergency drain. Otherwise your standpipe is always going to be adding air to the mix on the way down to the sump.
    There are things you can do to slow down/eliminate salt creep, like using bubble towers and filter socks and stuff but it all needs more maintenance/work to get done.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Your issue can be easily solved by making a simple gurgle buster. I will have to take pics of mine because this is the third time recently that a gurgle buster made of PVC will alleviate the sounds ad spray.

The issues are not from you tank mounted overflow, but rather how the water enters the sump.

8. Click Here!

9. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

I would appreciate it! :)

10. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

It is simply a tee, with a street El, and a length of pipe with a cap with a hole in the top.
    There is no need to glue these as friction fit will hold them in place. Also, you may need to adjust the angle of the gurgle pipe. Mine needs to be pretty much staright up or it will gurgle.

it works pretty good, for gurgle and noise eradication, but it does nothing for microbubbles. I am engineering a 2" pvc gurgle buster to trap the bubbles as well, but have yet to finish it.

The hofer gurgle buster does work well, but it will still allow gurgles and bubbles from the water entering the sump.

Do both and you should have a silent system. FWIW, my durso standpipe is actually pretty quiet.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I know this is 5 months old, but I'm very interested in this method you mentioned to silent the Overflow, and specially, the part where you mentioned the reduction of the bubbles going in the sump. My overflow box is pretty silent, with some occasional gurgling sound... not too frequent to annoy me, but believe me, it's the air bubbles going in the sump (at faster flow rate) that annoys me with the noise and it creates lots of salt creep I would like to eradicate both if possible or drastically reduce.

I know about the Herbie method, but it only works with Reef Ready Tank (ie. pre-drilled tanks) and mine isn't, so a hang on back overflow box was a necessity for me. Is there anything I can do to reduce the bubbles other than reducing the flow on my drain which I know it's bad, but I have a pre-filter and snails can't get in the drain. In fact, I have two Dwarf Ceriths living in my overflow box (they were trapped in there before I put finer mesh on the intake) that won't/can't get to the drain pipe... I kind of like it, it keeps my WEIR box clean of algae.

Thanks for any help.

- Magnus.