Can I replace my sand?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Biocube, Aug 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

So in preparation for my extra MP10 and higher flow I would like to replace my current sand OR place crushed coral on top to stop the small sand storm. I currently can't have my single MP10 run @ 45% or I have sand blowing all around.

Current sand (Fine white sand)

What wold look good and be best for my tank?

I currently have a bag of this laying around in my garage
    CaribSea® Aragonite Caribbean Puka Shell - Fish - Sale - PetSmart

Thank you,

Chris (Biocube)

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I wouldnt go along the route of replacing your sand. You would lose to much valuable bacteria etc by doing that.

In terms off adding something over the top, I had to do this when I first set up my 55g as I had a very fine substrate which was blowing around alot. I added a layer of CaribSea Aragalive Caribbean (how ever it is spelt), I found that it was much larger in particle size than my current caribsea substrate, doesnt blow around and looks much more aesthetically pleasing than crushed coral.

If your tank has been set up for a while, I am of the understand that as a substrate matures it hardens up and becomes less prone to sand storms, unless you have a tonne of sand sifting creatures.

IMO I would not go for the crushed coral (I think it looks abit yuck and is known to majorly trap detritus), but something of a larger particle size than your fine stuff.

However, in saying that, my powerheads are no where close to an MP10. Great choice of powerhead though :), ill be getting 2 for my 55g soon :).

Just my 0.02

4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Ryan,

Thank you for the help, can you please go out and find the product you used and liked and post it on here?

5. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

No worries,

Age of Aquariums - Aragalive Special Grade Reef 9kg This is what I used. Its actually Caribsea Aragalive Special Grade Reef. I got it because my current sand was probably 0.2mm particles and this was 1-2mm particles.

And luckily, it actually matched colour wise pretty good as well :). I stirred it around when I did it, so it wasnt a layer on top as such. You might have better results leaving it as a layer, as your powerhead is way more hectic than mine :). My powerheads only pump out about 1000-1500Lph each. (Tanks 200L).

1 person likes this.
  6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Karma for you my friend! Thank you very much!

Does anyone else have ideas? I want to to look good but most importantly be best for my tank.

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

10. thirty5

thirty5 Plankton

I agree worth above do not used crushed. coral.

I used Caribsea seaflor for mine. it was not live sand.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

the caribsea stuff does have a decent amount of CC and other bigger pieces in it. I'd do reefrocks sand with that on top. Only issue I see is that caribsea is normally dirty as heck and will be a disaster adding to your tank. IMO;)

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I def need to have larger granules, id like I have increased flow.