can i put my needle "I.Ocean" hydrometer inside the tank all time ?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by minajaguar, Apr 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. minajaguar

minajaguar Spaghetti Worm

can i put my needle "I.Ocean" hydrometer inside the tank all time ?

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I dont think so, but I do believe a company makes one that can go inside the tank at all times....not sure of the brand though. However, hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate. If you intend to use one i would calibrate it with a refractometer to see if it is accurate.

or just get a refractormeter.

4. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I don't think it would be very helpful because water wouldn't really circulate through it. If water did circulate it would through off the reading know what I mean? I guess the water in the hydrometer would slowly adjust to the rest of the tank through like osmosis or what ever but I wouldn't rely on it.

Your salinity shouldn't really swing anyway unless you aren't topping off or top off to much. Either way you would know by water volume that something is off rather than having to look at a hydrometer. Only thing I would find use full is a salinity probe that is hooked up to a controller that could email and let me know my floor is flooding because my top off is just dumping water into my sump. In which case salinity would be the least of my worries at that moment lol.

5. FlyFishGirl

FlyFishGirl Astrea Snail

I saw oceanic has one that made to be in the tank :) i saw it at PETCO :) <3 for only 10 dollars