Can I put clams on live rock?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by reefing1, Dec 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefing1

reefing1 Astrea Snail

Would like to get started with a couple clams in my 92 gal. and like maxima clams, however because due to my being a beginner in the hobby I introduced a couple sleeper gobies to the tank when I started it six months ago. I now know that if I put a clam on the bottom it will be covered in sand from these little guys. catching the sleepers and removing them from the tank is going to be a headache! I have seen pictures of people that have clams up off the substrate on their rocks, this would potentially eliminate my problem but don't know how to do it or what clams this would work with. Any ideas? Tanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

I would first try putting it on the sand in a corner or away from there home. Otherwise yes you can place them on the rock in a stable spot. Again try placing in the sand and watch to see if sand gets to them. Clams will get what they need anywhere in your tank with good flow and lighting.

4. reefing1

reefing1 Astrea Snail

Thanks man good advice I just didn't know if the rock would make it difficult for them to move open and closed any suggestions on a particular species of clam to get?

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I know croceas are rock boring and believe Maximas are too. Croceas actually prefer the rock then being on the sand. I've seen maximas on both. Find a spot where the clam won't fall immediately and place it there. After a few days it will anchor itself to that spot. As it grows it bores a nice little hole for it and attaches itself permanently.

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I just put my maxima on a rock and that was that. I wouldn't choose a boulder to let itself anchor to, but a medium sized rock will suffice.....

7. reefing1

reefing1 Astrea Snail

Good advice looks like the sand sifters stay and the clams go upstairs, thanks everyone.