Can I morph these zoanthids?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Corailline, Jan 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

There are different patterns on this frag ( lunar eclipse). Some at the top of the speckled galaxy patten and the some just a orange center like the large one on the bottom.

If I frag just one that has the orange center will it only grow the orange center varity only. Same with the ones with the best galaxy pattern, will I get a clone with that similar pattern, not exact.......

TIA.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It is a possibility, they may also produce both morphs or maybe even another.

4. Corailline

I was looking at coralpedia and the zoanthids have mostly similar patterns consistant through out the colony. So I was wondering if people find a particular pattern or color they like and seperate it by fragging it and growing it out?

Supose I could just try, but I would be more enthusiastic to frag it if I thought I could isolate one particular look.

:)

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think it is worth trying. I would suspect that is how the morphs are discovered.

6. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Hey you! Ok heres what I've done(and it's worked for me) frag off 2 separate polyps...put one closer to the light and one further. You can even go as far as changing the flow for each. You will get alittle morph. Is the color you want a new growth or was it in the original frag? If it's new I'd frag it and move it about 3 inches left or right and let it grow. That is the color you will have. I'm sure you know what the white speckels mean right?

7. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Just incase you don't(and so other people do) it's caused by having to much "white" light and not enough actinics... So adding some will stop the new growths from speckling...and FYI once speckled that polyp will never return to original color. But the health is not affected

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Thanks, I was just about to ask LOL.

10. Corailline

Hmm I did not know this.

Interesting stuff makeshift.

11. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

12. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

hmmm,interesting.I have some zoas that some are speckled and some are not.The speckled ones are on the top of the rock while the rest are on the front of the rock out of direct light,they are richer in color as well.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011