can i keep just 2 clownfish and 1 blue regal tang in my 40 gallon for 1 year???

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by crystal, Mar 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

i just wondered could i keep just 2 clownfish and 1 blue regal tang in my 40 gallon for 1 year as i will be upgrading to a 100 gallon in a years time???

my lfs sell regal tangs at 2-3 inches.

i would not keep any more fish in there untill i get the bigger tank

2. Click Here!

3. Reeferman360

Reeferman360 Plankton

Get'em

I see no prob with it. I have a pair of clowns in a 12g nano with a BTA and they are doing great. Fourty gallons is a decent size tank and if you will not be adding any other fish, why not do what your heart desires. Get the tang and when you go bigger you will have a nice fat regal to put in there. Tangs are a little harder to keep as they catch disease easier but with hardy clowns and just the regal go for it. Keep your water quality great for best results, as i know you already are!;)

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

As long as the clowns of the same species and are paied up or one lives long enough to mate up with the other one ..

5. Sean_Clownfish

Sean_Clownfish Astrea Snail

Its down to each individual. I wouldn't, I would wait until you get the larger tank to add the tang. You might end up not even upgrading and then having t rehome the tang.

6. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

i will 100% be upgrading next year.clownfish & tangs are 1 of the reasons i got into the hobby.but thats why i will be upgrading nxt year so that i dont have to get rid of the tang.i will be more than happy with 2 clowns and 1 regal.i will buy the 2 tankbred percula clowns then let them settle for about 3 months then add the tang.

7. Sean_Clownfish

Sean_Clownfish Astrea Snail

How big is a 100G? In inches? Is it 5 foot?

8. Click Here!

9. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

10. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

sound good to me. is the 115 going in a specific spot that requires the L X W you've given? Im asking because IME i would sacrifice some of that tank hight and try to get a longer and/or wider tank. fish prefer longer and wider tanks than deeper tanks and it will give you more room to aquascape if the tank has a larger base.
    my tank is a 110g and is 24in high and now i wish i could trim the hight and add to the length or width of the tank. deeper tank are also harder to provide lighting for (if your keeping corals) and can be harder to clean the bottom of the tank.

Regal will be fine in the 40g for the next year tho IMO. I kept a hippo (granted not the same) in a 56 for a year b4 uping to my 110.

11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

a cleaner shrimp is a tangs best buddy to have as a tank mate, as well as some macro algae or algae sheets for food..

12. footballdude2k3

footballdude2k3 Bristle Worm

i would be wary of putting in the tang, i have seen those things grow 6 inches in 6 months, might get to be too big imho. good luck if you do though, they are beautiful fish