Can I Glue Down a Plate Coral?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by HollyG, Dec 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have a short tenticle plate coral, really small, about 1/2-3/4 of an inch and my stupid hermit crabs will walk all over it, pick it up and turn it over and push it around and into shaded areas. So, i got the idea of super gluing the plate on a larger piece of rock and then burrying it in the sand so the hermits won't be able to at least pick it up and move it around. They will still walk over it but I guess the coral will have to get use to that. Can I do that? Or will super gluing it be bad for the coral? I figured it's better than getting tossed around all the time.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Do not glue it their flesh covers the whole coral. The glue will kill the flesh and kill the coral. Try to place it in an area in the sand that will difficult for the hermits to turn it over. Place rocks around it for protection.

4. HollyG

I have tried everything! And I don't want to get rid of the hermits or the plate. And at the rate they bother the poor thing it will surly end up dying.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Several plates want to move around on their own, not sure on this particular one though.

I would not glue it. You can glue SPS flesh, but not LPS IME.

I used to have several hermits. I got sick of them moving stuff, taking food from corals, etc. So I threw them all outside and bought two tiny ones - haven't had hermit trouble since :p

6. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

Maybe put the plate in a small container with sand in the bottom until it grows up. A shot glass would work nicely. Should be slippery enough to keep the crabs out.

1 person likes this.
  7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sweet idea

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Plates will move around on their own, and go for short walks.

I don't know what restricting that natural behavior might do.

10. HollyG

Well, I talked to a lot of people on the subject, including my friend who gave me the plate and I decided to glue it onto a rock and burry the rock under the sand. The guy who gave it to me actually had to do that exact same thing with his plates when they were smaller and it worked perfectly and had no problems, then after they grew bigger unstuck them so they could sit back on the sand on their own. So far it has been 3 days since I've glued the plate and look super healthy and happy. I even fed it the other day and everything is going great! I think it will be fine. I didn't use a lot of glue anyway, just the tiniest little dot of glue, just enough to keep it stuck. I didn't want to smother the bottom and it's working so far.

11. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I bought my plate attached to a frag plug. Plates have a foot which enables them to move about. If you glue it, then remove it, the plate looses the foot. Mine did and it has never moved. I was told by many that it should never have been glued to the plug. But it's your plate to do with what you will.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Plate coral move by inflation and deflation of the polyp/tentacles, they do not have a foot.

It's not a coral I would glue down, but I am curious to see how yours does glued.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
    1 person likes this.