Can I get some advice with what lights I should upgrade to T-5 style? So confused!

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Claic Yuzolt, Jan 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

I am wanting to upgrade my T-5 fixture soon but I can't find which fixture is the most bang for my buck. I have a spending limit of $350 dollars for this fixture.

Current USA SunDial T5 HO w/ Timers & LED Images

I was looking at that one but at the same time I wish I could get either a Tek fixture or a better Nova Pro fixture but my tank is 30 long and most lights are not made like that.

I also need help on what bulbs I should use and combination because I want to eventually try clams and SPS.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Have you checked out saltwaterconnection.com, they have some nice lights there and prices seem reasonable.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

There aren't many 30" T5 fixtures out there. Is there a possibility to hang the light? If so, you could go with a 24" fixture and split the difference on either side. What is your current light set up?

5. Claic Yuzolt

I can't hang due to me renting now.

I currently have a 30" Coralife 2 bulb fixture. I would really love to get a 6 bulb fixture and use giesman bulbs, but I am having trouble finding them!

6. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

The 30" fixtures use 24W (24") lamps, so with proper mounting technique you could use a 24" fixture and not lose any light over the 30" fixture.

24" 4x24W Tek fixture with lamps at Reefgeek.com for $281.95 is well under your budget ...

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I've looked around at all of the "name brand" fixtures and the only 30" fixture I found was the one you posted the link to. Tek and ATI don't make a 30" fixture that I know of and there aren't many 30" MH fixtures either. Could you possibly do a retro fit kit using 24" bulbs and reflectors and just staggering them to get the 30"?

8. Click Here!

9. Claic Yuzolt

See I'm a total noob with lighting so I'm not sure what a retro kit is sadly.

With the idea of using the 24 inch lights, wouldnt that leave some of my tank dark all the time?

10. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

Not any darker than with the the light fixture you are using now which uses the same sized (24") lamps as a 24" fixture.

11. Claic Yuzolt

I cant hang it so how would I put it on my tank? I see they sell mounting legs but it my tank is 30" it wouldn't reach right?

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I have that same light (only mine is 48"). Let me know if you have any questions about it...