can i get rid of copper trace in my tank

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by silkmen1, Jun 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. silkmen1

silkmen1 Plankton

ive had copper in my tank at some point is there anything i can put in my tank to get rid of this my copper test show 0 but i think there is a trace in there help my inverts have died as soon as i put them in the tank :eek:

2. Click Here!

3. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

i think seachem sells something for.cuprizorb? coppersorb? something like that

4. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

5. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

A Poly Filter will remove it as well, the nice thing is that it will change color depending on what it's removing so you know what it's pulling out.

Poly Filter

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

It has been debated that the silicone caulking absorbs the copper, and leaches it out slowly. If that is the case, the only real way to ensure no copper is leached is to cut the old silicone out and re caulk it.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

There are a few things you can do. You can run ozone. Re-silicone the tank (assuming no rock or sand or other equipment was exposed), run the cuprisorb (can take a long time), or just wait it out with regular water changes.

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I can tell you this, you need ALOT more Cu in a tank than you think to kill most desirable inverts..... I have had snails and crabs accidentally live through Cu treatments....

My 180 has seen ionic copper, so all the rock, sand and silicone SHOULD have it...
    Wives tale to me, as all my inverts be them crabs, snails or coral are fine.

Water changes coupled with CUPRISORB will do it.

Are you using tap?
    We just got our local municipality's water quality report and there is .46ppm of copper in it. Doesn't sound like much but if you think that the desired amount of copper in a tank to treat say ick is .2 ppm, thats double!

What is your salinity/Specific gravity?
    How are you acclimating the inverts?
    What type of inverts are we talking?

10. silkmen1

silkmen1 Plankton

thanks ill give it a go i do regular water chages anyway but im going to try cuprizorb awell my inverts were 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 xl turbo snail they all died within half an hour all my test results are normal i leave them in the bag for an hour floating then mix some water in the bag every 15 mins

11. sen5241b

sen5241b Astrea Snail

I've heard of people getting all copper out just using polyfilter.

12. gutierrezre

gutierrezre Flamingo Tongue