Can I get a Mandarin? Please! Oh Please?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by reefgirl16, May 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefgirl16

reefgirl16 Feather Duster

So my reef has been established for 10-11months. I know I'm more than willing to go the exta mile for feeding one. I saw one at my LFS and fell head over heels in love. I did A LOT of research and feel that I'm ready but wanted to ask you guys opinions, because I value a more experinced perspective

2. Click Here!

3. cheesyguy

cheesyguy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Tank size? and do you plan on getting an ORA mandarin that is readily eating prepared foods?

4. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

If you feel you are ready and you have done research on it then I think you will be fine.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

That's a falacy... I have had 3 ora mandarins, and can confirm that while they will eat a pellet or two, they can not sustain themselves on pellets, especially not with the regular once or twice daily feedings.

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

What's your tank size? Are you heavy on LR, when you cut your lights on can you see an ant farm (at night). Once you get the mandarin is there either enough LR or enough area in the LR for pods to breed and not get wiped out?

7. reefgirl16

29gal and 25-30lbs of rock and i see "little white bugs" crawling on my glass when i turn off water flow to feed my coral. I was never courious enough to do the flashlight thing. But I'm in the aquatic science at school so i know how to culture pods

8. Click Here!

9. reefgirl16

29gal and 25-30lbs of rock and i see "little white bugs" crawling on my glass when i turn off water flow to feed my coral. I was never courious enough to do the flashlight thing. But I'm in the aquatic science at school so i know how to culture pods. I was planning to get an ORA mandarin.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

no i would not recommend doing it. I know others on here are going to say yes you can, and they have done it..........
    however a mandarin can wipe out your total supply of pods in a matter of days. You would have to add pods almost every other day to do it.

As far as ora.....same issue. Even if they are eating prepared foods, they will most likely revert off of prepared food at some point.

Sorry, I know that is not the answer you want!

11. reefgirl16

:) It's more than okay. I will take everyone's opinions at the end of the day, consider them plus the pros and cons. Then I'll make a decision based off that. I believe that's what they are for. I value each opinion and experience

12. Birdfeather

Birdfeather Bristle Worm

IMO in that tank it's kinda a hit or miss deal.....I have one in a 30 gallon and he has not only done well, he is growing....With that being said I have a refugium as well with a very large pod supply, so IMO unless you have a refugium as well as a tank in may not be a good idea...