Can i get a clam??

Discussion in 'Clams' started by cerpin_taxt, Jun 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cerpin_taxt

cerpin_taxt Bristle Worm

just curious as to getting clam always wanted one but im scared under PC's i do have 6.5 wpg though.... any help would be appreciated. want one but won't get one if i can't make it happy in my tank

2. Click Here!

3. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

the watt per gallon is horse poop do not go by that clams need intense light only t5's maybe or MH wil,l work so sorry it will just die under your lights, sorry to bring you bad news.

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I used to be one to say that PC can keep clams happy...but after my clams didnt make it past the 6 month mark i really dont think they like it....im weary to try under my t-5s but...since my acros are looking great i might.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

As a baby or juvenille, clams can be housed under vho or pc lighting, up until they reach around 4" or so as they require phytoplankton for food. It isn't til they get bigger and older that they need intense light for food. But in all fairness, if you don't have metal halides, I wouldn't chance it. But if you do, go with either Squamosa or Durasa(Tridacna's).
    Let us know what you decided to do?

6. cerpin_taxt

cerpin_taxt Bristle Worm

it's all good, just wondering..... i'm not one to rush into anything cause i dont like it when my hobby dies. i don't like fishing out dead animals.. i can be patient and wait til i upgrade my lighting. thanks everybody..

cerpin_taxt

1 person likes this.
  7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Good idea. Good things happen to those who wait, not, he who hesitates is lost-what the heck am I saying...See what happens when the Yankees lose?
    Anyway, your smart to wait on the clam. This way they will not be under as much stress. They are almost always kept under metal halides at the pet shop so why not wait til you get halides to lessen the stress. Clams, unfortunately, don't handle shipping and handling or changes in water parameters very well.

8. Click Here!

9. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Kudos and karma for you having the ability and the sense to wait for the proper lighting. If you intend on upgrading your lighting within a year I would think that you would be able to get a small durasa(spelling?) I had very good luck with them in the past and they grow really fast.
    GLTA