Can Goldfish Live In Saltwater?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by pjcutie, Mar 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pjcutie

pjcutie Plankton

HI,

I have a 20 gallon saltwater tank with a blue lobster in it and I am wondering if I can add a 2-2.5 inch goldfish to the tank? Thanks for reading and answering. Have a great day.

2. Click Here!

3. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

Goldfish can not be converted over to saltwater. Black mollys can.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

LOL yes they can live in saltwater :) just not very long that is, I'd guess about 30 seconds .

5. Marklar MM

Marklar MM Astrea Snail

Goldfish would make good food for some fish in saltwater. =D

6. dlaclo

dlaclo Spaghetti Worm

lol
    yall crack me up

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I dont know for sure about goldfish..... I do know that guppies can be converted over. I had a feeder tank where I raised mollies and it was brackish, so when I dropped them in the tank, it wouldnt be a big shock to them. Well I had to buy guppies once cause the mollies were all to small to drop in my big tank, and the store gave me way to many, a lot of freebies. So I dumped the extra in the feeder tank thinking if they make it, they make it, they dont, they dont. Well they made it just fine without any problems. So the next time I fed my big tank, I dropped the guppies in and 3 of them that wasnt eaten right away lived for about six months until my pseudo found them hiding behind a return, haha.

8. Click Here!

9. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

i've got some mollies in my SW tank... it doesn't look like they'll live for very long tho... i started off with 7 and have 2 left... the weird thing about it, they all came from the same tank at the fish store, and the ones that are left is the biggest one, and the smallest one... i've had 'em for about 2 months... the only reason they died is because i couldn't tend to the aquarium for a whole month (broken foot, too many stairs, no one else to watch over it for me)...

10. fishconverter

fishconverter Plankton

Yes

I have a 50 gallon brackish water tank. it started out with a .122 ppt. i had 19 goldfish and several other fresh water sharks, and eels. 6 months later, (after slowly converting) my ppt is around 15.3, and i have seven goldfish still living. the other 12 didnt die from the water, but from my 15 inch snowflake eel... so to answer your question, a good breeder can convert goldfish to at least brackish water. the gravity of my tank is around 1.012, and my 2 inch feeder goldfish love it...

11. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

goldfish usually live up to a few minutes in SW

12. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Actually what's in goldfish cause lots of problems for saltwater fish. Even if it's just for a treat they are harmful.

Not sure how much of a joke that was but just wanted to point it out for others at least.