Can fish feel earthquakes?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Puffer Chick, Nov 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I know this is a strange question, but i'm just curious. I live in California so we have earthquakes once in a while. But i also live right next to the traintracks so trains are constantly going by, which means my house along with the tank shakes multiple times throughout the day. So i was just wondering if it's possible that the fish feel the movement or does it just blend in with the movement from the powerheads?

2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

I'm sure it's noticeable maybe if you had a wave box going it wouldn't be as noticeable.
    but still its movement in multiple directions opposed to one direction flow (powerheads)
    just guessing it startles them, makes them hide or whatever

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

interesting, lol maybe that's another excuse why my firefish likes to hide :lol:

5. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

I would say probably not because the water is always moving in the ocean. Given the exception of tank raised fish.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Most fish have a very strong sense to detect vibration. I think they can probably tell when it's a new vibration going on, but random chaotic water movement are good for your coral so I would see it as good.

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lol cool, i guess that's one plus of living right next to the traintracks :D