Unresolved Can disease be transferred from freshwater to saltwater tank?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Greg9MM, Jan 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

So, earlier my father was doing a water change in his freshwater tank. Something hit that tank hard and lost everything but one fish and that fish doesnt look well.
    He used on of my hoses and when he was done he hooked on end on the tank and dropped the other into my 50 gallon bucked where I had some water made for a small change. There was evidently some water in the hose because it started to siphon and drained the top 4 inches of my tank.
    Me fear is that water from the freshwater tank is now mixed with my tanks water in the bucket. Can I just pump the water back in my tank or do i have to worry about whatever is in that water.
    all of my pumps are off because of how low the water is so I need to take care of this ASAP.
    Thank you in advance

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would not be too concerned, as long as the specific gravity is still within range.

4. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

Yea the levels in the water are fine. I was just nervous knowing that the little bit of freshwater came from a sick tank.

5. Corailline

Sick with what specifically?

6. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I dont know. Tank was running great with about 10 fish. (swordtails, angels, couple sharks) Then about 2 weeks ago the 2 swords died. Then sharks started getting fin rot. Started treating the tank with prima and meta fix right away but over the next week everything died but the crawfish and one angel that looked really bad. He did a few water changes and kept treating and the angel looks a lot better but wont eat yet.

7. Corailline

Was it a new set up, the fresh water?

8. Click Here!

9. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

Yes and no. Something similar had happened to the tank a few months ago but everything died. Tank was emptied, scrubbed and everything was dried. It was then set up again and ran with a crawfish for about 2 weeks before the first fish was added. Then prob a fish or 2 every week after until they started dying.

10. Corailline

Then I would not use it, but if you already have it's probably no big deal. I did not interpret the first post to mean that it was possible for some type of contaminate to have been the issue with the FW tank.
    The chance of some bacterial or parasite pathogen surviving the transfer from fresh water seems unlikely.

11. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

Thanks a lot. I guess we will see what happens. Thank you for your help.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

do you have an idea on exactly how much of the FW tank water made it into your SW change water? I really don't think it would be a problem - the only thing I'd be thinking about would be the medications not an infection.