can coral be put in freshwater tank even after coral is dead

Discussion in 'Coral' started by surfinluke, Jan 25, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. surfinluke

surfinluke Plankton

my buddy just got back from Hawaii and brought me some nice broken coral pieces from a free dive... I have cleaned them good and i was wondering if i can put them in my freshwater tank? Someone told me that you couldn't do that because it releases a type of gas that would kill freshwater fish even after the coral is dead... Please help!!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I dont think it would be a very good idea to add to a freshwater ecosystem. If the coral is dying off, they may come back if you put it in a healthy saltwater enviornment, but then again it may completely die. If it looks to be doomed, putting it a freshwater anyways would pollute your water as it is dying off, might spike ammonia and nitrate levels.

I just dont think it is a good idea. Hey! Better yet, why dont you drop the freshwater tank and go saltwater! It's wayyyy neater. ;)

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I thought it was illegal to remove anything dead or alive from the waters around Hawaii?

5. surfinluke

surfinluke Plankton

yeah, the coral was already broken and dead and when i got it i bleached it to whiten it so i know its clean and bacteria is dead... but i wasnt sure... i guess ill just stick to fake coral!!!!! thanks

6. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Also, the coral will mess with your freshwater PH...it will make it hard to maintain neutral PH

7. alpinefish

alpinefish Plankton

1st protected waters are just that and we should all do our part to help. As for your peices if you are sure that they are Totally clean! place them in a bucket of tank water from a water change and airate for a day or 2. check for problems, smells, etc. if ok you can rinse and add to tank as long as you want a higher ph. Afrcan cichlids will love it as will any high ph creatures. I used crushed coral as my gravel bed and had to give away the cichlid fry to pet shops.

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid