Can anyone ID this chalice for me?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by aw1447, Jan 30, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422641361.295330.jpg

I bought this a long time ago when it was one eye, and it was just listed as a red chalice. I always have friends ask me the real name but I have no idea. Can anyone ID for me? Thanks!!!

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Very nice specimen. While it does appear similar to a pink boobies chalice to me, without lineage you really cannot say it is an already named color morph. I would just make up your own name for it.

4. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

Looks a lot like my JF cosmopolitan too, but I agree with xmetal on claiming lineage without 100 pct certainty.

5. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

I really like the look of that coral. It doesn't look like any famous names I've seen so far but I'm not a chalice collector. I say make up your own name and start your own lineage. It's definately pretty enough to have it's own name. Congrats on the find. Hopefully general "red chalice" didn't cost you too much.

It has every color in there. I want a piece!

6. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

Ya on second look I don't have the purple rim. That's pretty sweet!

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Looks like a watermelon chalice to me.

civiccars2003 likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I found your question a bit ironic as the "real name" is entirely different from the common name, and even more different from the marketing name.

10. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

Thanks for the replies everyone!! Agreed.. Buying from other hobbyists is just like that sometimes ya know.. I was just looking for a reference I could say it most resembles.

I'll have to check out the JF Cosmo! I have a watermelon as well and it's definitely nothing like it.

Guitar man- I'm curious if anyone knew the name. Yes every place has a marketing name and yes different sites have different names for the same pieces. But it still would be just as helpful to know all of them to look up.