Can anyone ID this and suggest treatment?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by special juice, Mar 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. special juice

special juice Feather Duster

This is one of three Blue Reef Chromis that I have in QT. They have been in for 3 weeks and are coming to the end of Cupramine treatment (tested at .35). I originally began copper treatment because one fish had a white salt-grain sized spec on its right fin. I can see now that it is definitely not ich. It has gotten larger and morphed into more of a rectangular shape. None of the other fish are showing any symptoms of disease. Is it something that I could treat with Prazipro or Paraguard? I don't want to randomly medicate until I know for sure what I'm dealing with.
    reef chromis.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Do you think that looks like Lymphocystis?

4. special juice

After reading up on this and looking at photos, I think that is exactly what it is. So this sounds counterintuitive but should I transfer the fishes to the DT sooner rather than later? I've been struggling with maintaining great water quality in the QT due to the fact that I put 3 fish in a 20g. I have been doing daily water changes as the ammonia keeps creeping up and trying to not overfeed.

The water quality in my 240g that these fish will reside in is great so I don;t know if transferring now would solve the issue or just create the new stress of being acclimated. Thoughts?

5. Corailline

I think you should transfer them when you finish your routine QT regime.

As for the Lymphocystis, it never proved problematic for me. I have seen severe cases in others tanks exacerbated by poor nutrition and water quality. In my tanks it was always self limiting, but might take months to resolve.

6. special juice

Thanks, as always, Coraline. I guess I will just proceed as usual and keep up the frequent water changes. These 3 fish will have another week in QT.

7. special juice

Just to clarify, Coraline, I should go ahead and add the fish to the community at the end of the QT period even if the condition is still present?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

It is contagious, but I no of no treatment protocol. If they were my fish I would introduce them. Self limiting viral infection so I would not be too concerned.