Can anemones Multiply

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by pjracer, Mar 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

I just bought a beautiful red or rose bubble tip anemone. Can anemones multiply?

This is the prettiest anemone i have seen so-far.

The picture below looks good but the colors are even brighter in person.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

They can, especially if stressed.

4. pjracer

Is that a bad thing. I realy like this new anemone i got and i could go back and get the other two the guy had or figure out how to get the one i have to multiply. What do you mean by stressed? water conditions, tank mates?

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

It's not a good thing and a dead nem in your tank can be real bad. They deteriorate quick and release alot of toxins which can 'nuke' your tank. A stressed nem that splits is trying to double it's chances for survival but they don't split just because they are stressed. Along with the stressors you've mentioned go lighting and flow.

6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Anemones will multiply sexually and through fission (splitting). They will split for two reasons: happy and stressed. The theory is that they multiply when stressed to make copies of themselves to better the odds that one copy will survive under harsh conditions. Quite often when stressed they will also let go and float away in hopes the current will take them to a more suitable environment. This is disastrous in captivity since the current will take them to a powerhead where they will get blended into mush and kill your tank.

If an anemone splits assume that it is stressed first. Measure your parameters, check for nitrate, ammonia, etc, and make sure you have enough light for your tank.

You should only attempt an anemone if your tank is well established (1 year or more) and you have proper lighting (T5s or metal halides).

1 person likes this.
  7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. exoticsteve2001

exoticsteve2001 Feather Duster

My nems did real good under power compacts but I can honestly say they are doing better under t5s

10. pjracer

I found this post below. what do you guys think:

Breeding and Reproduction The E. quadricolor have been breed in captivity. Anemones can multiply by sexual and asexual means. One way is using fission, which is when they actually split in half from the foot or mouth to form a clone, although the clone is its own animal, similar to twins. At least on pair of Bubble-Tip Anemones has been reported to mouth brood. This is where the Bubble-Tip Anemone will brood juvenile anemones for a few days within the oral cavity before releasing them into the water'. This supplies the embryos with their first zooxanthellae. When released, the embryos or planula float and then connect and start out as a fully formed anemone, or with the zooxanthellae, may be able to travel some distance without feeding.

Propagating the Bubble-Tip anemones is fairly easy, yet needs to be done in a clean system.

• Your anemone must be in good health.
    • It is always best to have done a large water change to your main tank before propagation. Wait a day and then put this water into a "recovery" tank if desired.
    • Remove the animal to a clean, non-slippery and damp surface, mouth side up.
    • Using sharp scissors or a scalpel, cut the anemone in half right down the center, through the mouth. This results in 2 equal halves. If it is large enough, 4 individuals can be made.
    • it is attached to a rock, another method is to just cut though the center of the mouth on one side only (do this long-ways, running with the length of the mouth) encouraging the anemone to finish the "split".
    • Place your new "pieces" into a moderately sized "recovery" tank. Use the same water as the main display (as you did a large water change, you would use this cleaner water).
    • Do 20% water changes a few days after after this little surgery.
    • If they were on a rock, put that same rock in the recovery tank for them to reattach.
    If your tank is very large, over 100 gallons, then a 30-40% water change before the cut will help in recovery. Place them back on their favorite rock if they detached, since this will encourage reattachment. It would be prudent to wash your hands if you didn't use gloves. Within a few days your anemone should have started to wrap around and heal itself. Do not feed or bother it during this time and keep Clown fish away, if you have any in your tank.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yes, they do reproduce. See the video below.

As stated above, most splitting is not because the anemone is healthy, it's because it's stressed or starving. In other words, it's not a good thing. For instance, the brightness of the anemone you purchased isn't because it's a pretty specimen....it's because it's starving. You need to be feeding it krill or silversides.